What is a function that satisfies the iterated functional equation $f(f(x))=-x$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the function $f$ must be a real function, such that $f(f(x))=-x$. Fernando Revilla provided a solution in the form of a piecewise function.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I don't know what to title this but will change it if $f(f(x))$ has a name. Anyway, I need to find $f(x)$ such that $f(f(x))=-x$. My friend gave me this challenge question and I haven't been able to figure it out.

There are many examples where $f(f(x))=x$ for example \(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{1}{x}\) but that doesn't work for this one. I also tried a piecewise function but that didn't work either.

Lastly $f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about:

$f(x)=ix$?

Last edited:
MarkFL said:
How about:

$f(x)=ix$?

$f(2)=2i$, $f(2i)=2i^2=-2$
$f(-2)=-2i$, $f(-2i)=-2i^2=2$

\(\displaystyle f \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)= \frac{1}{2}i\), \(\displaystyle f \left( \frac{1}{2}i \right) \frac{1}{2}i^2=-\frac{1}{2}\)

Yup, seems to work. Nice! I wonder if there are any others as well.

Jameson said:
Nice! I wonder if there are any others as well.

At least, if $f:\mathbb{C}\to \mathbb{C}$ has de form $f(x)=ax+b$, necessarily $f(x)=ix$ or $f(x)=-ix$.

Doh! I forgot my friend stipulated that f: R -> R.

For a function of the form:

$f(x)=kx^n$ then $f(f(x))=k^{n+1}x^{n^2}$

and the only solution I can find is for $n=1$ leading to the example I gave. (I missed the other example cited by Fernando Revilla which comes from $k^2=-1\,\therefore\,k=\pm i$)

I bet there are other forms that might work though. I have to run now, but I will be thinking about this.:cool:

Jameson said:

The trick is to consider a set of disjoint intervals $(0,1],(1,2],(2,3],(3,4],\ldots $ covering $\mathbb{R}^+$. We define $f:\mathbb{R}^+\to \mathbb{R}$ in the following way

\begin{align}
f(0) &= 0 \\
f(x) &= x+1 &&\mbox{if $x\in(2k-2,2k-1]$}\\
f(x) &= 1-x &&\mbox{if $x\in(2k-1,2k]$}\\
\end{align}

We easily verify $f(f(x))=-x$. Now we can extend $f$ to $\mathbb{R}$ by odd symmetry i.e. if $x<0$ we define $f(x)=-f(-x)$ and the condition $f(f(x))=-x$ is verified for all $x\in\mathbb{R}$.

Jameson said:

Allow me to offer a bit of friendly advice when posting problems on math help sites:

When posting the problem, please include all relevant information. This ensures that you get the best and most timely help possible.

<ducking&running&lmao> (Rofl)(Wave)(Beer)

Hello all,

I don't recall where we originally found the problem but we certainly had some fun with it before I offered it to Jameson.

A similar problem was posted on stackoverflow, of all places.

Here was my lamentable first solution:

$f(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
0 & | &x=0 \\
-\frac{sign(x)}{|x|+1}{} & | & x\in \mathbb{Z} \setminus \{0\} \\
\frac{1}{x}-sign(x) & | & \frac{1}{x}\in \mathbb{Z}\\
\frac{1}{x} & | & |x|>1, x\notin\mathbb{Z}, \frac{1}{x}\notin\mathbb{Z}\\
-\frac{1}{x} & | & |x|<1, \frac{1}{x}\notin\mathbb{Z}
\end{matrix}\right.$

There are three things going on:
  1. 0 maps to 0 (I'll write 0 > 0), which it must do for all f
  2. The integers and their reciprocals: 1>-1/2>-1>1/2>1> ...; 2>-1/3>-2>1/3>2>...
  3. f maps everything else to its inverse or negative inverse: 3/5>-5/3>-3/5>5/3>3/5>...; pi>1/pi>-pi>-1/pi>pi>...

The pieces came from trying something and making different rules for the numbers it didn't work for.

After finding a few other solutions similar to Fernando's very smooth function, we wondered if all such f operated on these kinds of tricks, and the answer was an emphatic No. We could map pi^e > 2 > -pi^e > -2 > pi^e if we wanted, just as long as each nonzero pair (x,-x) was itself paired with another nonzero (y,-y), and those pairings of pairs could be whatever we liked. That thought led to the attached document. I hope you guys find it interesting and correct!

Attachments

• f(f(x)) = -x.pdf
    103.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Related to What is a function that satisfies the iterated functional equation $f(f(x))=-x$?

1. What is an iterated functional equation?

An iterated functional equation is an equation in which the unknown quantity is a function, and the function appears on both sides of the equation. It involves repeatedly applying the same function to its own output in order to find a solution.

2. What are some real-world applications of iterated functional equations?

Iterated functional equations have applications in various fields, such as physics, economics, and computer science. For example, they can be used to model population growth, economic forecasting, and algorithm design.

3. How do you solve an iterated functional equation?

The solution to an iterated functional equation depends on the specific equation and its initial conditions. In general, there is no single method for solving all iterated functional equations. Some techniques that may be used include substitution, iteration, and finding fixed points.

4. Can an iterated functional equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an iterated functional equation can have multiple solutions. In some cases, there may be infinitely many solutions. This is because the function in the equation can have different behaviors and produce different outputs depending on the input.

5. What is the importance of iterated functional equations in mathematics?

Iterated functional equations are important in mathematics because they provide a framework for studying the behavior of functions and finding solutions to complex problems. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as dynamical systems and chaos theory.