What is a cost-effective way to design a high power opamp based amplifier?

In summary, an op-amp is a DC coupled amplifier with immense gain that is used in many push-pull tube guitar amplifier designs.
abs_vicky
Can anyone please give me the design of a high power opamp based amplifier, Vcc(100-200V, single power supply), Output current(tens of amperes)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know a lot of power amp are op-amp based. If you look carefully, a lot of them have negative feedback from the output to the inverted input! It might not be that obvious but it's there...from old school Fender and Marshall tube guitar amps to Hi Fi amps, they all are op-amp based design with a differential tube that has +ve and -ve input and feedback from the output transformer.

Why do you want to have that high a voltage? You are going to limit your transistor selection. Also you are going to have to be more specific on how many watts, what class, what is the frequency requirement etc.

I think you'll have better choice if it is +/-40V or so supply.

OK, I just pull this one out from my behind just for the fun of it! It's Saturday and I have nothing better to do so I just whipped it up, don't take it too serious!

24liss4.jpg

You can parallel as many output transistors as needed. This is a standard inverting op-amp design. I feel it's easier to compansate in the inverted configuration. This is only a starting point, dominant pole is needed and a lead lag network might be needed depend on what load it is driving. The one resistor adjustment is to adjust how class AB you want, all the way to class A. Output should be sitting at +50V. The input differential pair need to be matching pair ( dual transistor) if precision DC is needed.

Last edited:
The OPA541 may be about as close as you're going to get. It has the drive current but not the voltage you want.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa541.pdf

It's not quite correct to say that the output stage of a Fender or Marshall tube amp is an op-amp. It is not. An op-amp is a DC coupled amplifier with immense gain. The output stage of the typical push-pull tube guitar amplifier is never DC coupled and has a voltage gain between input and output of perhaps 10 or 20. It has a very high power gain begin able to take a 2 volt signal at it's input and turn it into a 20 volt signal into an 8 ohm load.

Antiphon said:
The OPA541 may be about as close as you're going to get. It has the drive current but not the voltage you want.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa541.pdf

It's not quite correct to say that the output stage of a Fender or Marshall tube amp is an op-amp. It is not. An op-amp is a DC coupled amplifier with immense gain. The output stage of the typical push-pull tube guitar amplifier is never DC coupled and has a voltage gain between input and output of perhaps 10 or 20. It has a very high power gain begin able to take a 2 volt signal at it's input and turn it into a 20 volt signal into an 8 ohm load.

Op-amp is defined with high open loop gain with +ve and - input. Yes, really straight speaking , those tube amps are not because of that, but it has all the characteristic of an op-amp.

What I drawn is a typical power amp in op-amp config. What he is asking is very high power amplifier. Check Apex, I used a lot of their HV op-amp before, but I doubt you can find one to do the job, it got to be a few in parallel and is very very expensive.

Related to What is a cost-effective way to design a high power opamp based amplifier?

1. What is an Opamp based power amplifier?

An Opamp based power amplifier is a type of electronic amplifier that uses operational amplifiers (Opamps) to amplify and power a signal. It is commonly used in audio and communication systems to increase the amplitude of a signal without significantly affecting its quality.

2. How does an Opamp based power amplifier work?

An Opamp based power amplifier works by taking an input signal and amplifying it through the use of operational amplifiers. The Opamps have a high gain, which allows them to amplify the signal without introducing distortion. The output of the Opamp is then further amplified by transistors to provide the desired level of power.

3. What are the advantages of using an Opamp based power amplifier?

Some advantages of using an Opamp based power amplifier include its high gain, low distortion, and low output impedance. It also has a wide bandwidth and can be easily configured to suit different applications. Additionally, it requires fewer components compared to other types of power amplifiers, making it cost-effective.

4. What are the key components of an Opamp based power amplifier?

The key components of an Opamp based power amplifier include an operational amplifier, transistors, resistors, and capacitors. The Opamp is the main amplifying element, while the transistors are used to provide the necessary power. The resistors and capacitors are used to set the gain and frequency response of the amplifier.

5. How is an Opamp based power amplifier different from other types of power amplifiers?

An Opamp based power amplifier differs from other types of power amplifiers in its use of operational amplifiers. The Opamp provides a high gain and low distortion, making it suitable for high-quality audio and communication applications. It also has a simple design and requires fewer components compared to other types of power amplifiers.