Solve 57kg Sled Weight w/ Friction Coefficients

• Thread starter badboyben03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
I'm just confused about the coefficient of frictionIn summary, the problem involves a sled with a mass of 57 kg being pulled on snow-covered ground with a static friction coefficient of 0.30 and a sliding friction coefficient of 0.10. The weight of the sled can be found by using the formula Weight = mass * acceleration, where acceleration is equal to the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). The coefficient of friction and frictional force are not needed to solve the problem.
badboyben03
what formula do i need to solve this problem?

A sled of mass 57 kg is pulled along snow-covered, flat ground. The static friction coefficient is 0.30, and the sliding friction coefficient is 0.10.

What does the sled weigh?

Physics news on Phys.org
Force = mass * acceleration

Weight = mass * g

- Warren

coefficients

how do i find the coefficient of frcition?

You don't need to find it. It's given. It's also irrelevant to the problem. The problem just asked you for weight -- all you need is mass and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

- Warren

oops

oh, I am sorry. maybe i should've been more specific. If I was just givin the force, the mass and acceleration. I'm not given the coefficient of friciton or the frictional force.

I have no idea what you're asking. Are you talking about some new problem now?

- Warren

sorry

yeah

1. How do you calculate the sled weight with friction coefficients?

To calculate the sled weight with friction coefficients, you will need to know the mass of the sled (57kg) and the friction coefficient between the sled and the surface it is on. Once you have this information, you can use the formula W = mg + μN to calculate the weight (W) of the sled, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), μ is the friction coefficient, and N is the normal force between the sled and the surface.

2. What is the role of friction coefficients when solving for sled weight?

Friction coefficients play a crucial role in determining the weight of the sled. These coefficients represent the amount of friction between the sled and the surface it is on, and they are essential in calculating the normal force (N) in the formula W = mg + μN. Without the friction coefficients, it would be impossible to accurately determine the weight of the sled.

3. How do you determine the friction coefficient between the sled and the surface?

The friction coefficient between the sled and the surface can be determined through experimentation. You can measure the force required to move the sled across different surfaces and use the formula μ = F/N, where μ is the friction coefficient, F is the force applied, and N is the normal force. Alternatively, you can also find published data on the friction coefficients of different materials to use in your calculation.

4. Can the sled weight change depending on the surface it is on?

Yes, the weight of the sled can change depending on the surface it is on. This is because the friction coefficient between the sled and the surface will vary, which will affect the normal force (N) in the formula W = mg + μN. Different surfaces have different textures and materials, which will result in different friction coefficients and therefore different weights for the sled.

5. How can knowing the sled weight with friction coefficients be useful?

Knowing the sled weight with friction coefficients can be useful in various applications. For example, if you are designing a sled for a specific purpose, understanding its weight will allow you to determine the amount of force needed to move it. This information can also be useful in the transportation industry, where weight and friction coefficients are essential in determining the load capacity of vehicles and the amount of fuel needed for transportation.