What inspired 'Professor Proton' as a pen name?

• Thread starter awaygood
  • Start date
In summary, 'Professor Proton' was inspired by the character Arthur Jeffries from the TV show "The Big Bang Theory". The show's writers, who were fans of the real-life scientist Carl Sagan, created the character as a tribute to him. Carl Sagan's nickname was 'Professor Proton' and the writers wanted to honor his legacy by incorporating his nickname into the show. The character's real name, Arthur Jeffries, is also a nod to another famous scientist, Arthur C. Clarke. Overall, the pen name 'Professor Proton' was chosen as a way to pay homage to two influential figures in the world of science and entertainment.
awaygood
How did you find PF?
via Google Search
Hi, My name is Adrian Waygood. I am a former lecturer and instructional designer, now retired in Cyprus, having worked in the Armed Forces and defence industry, as well as for technical colleges in Canada and the United Kingdom. I have written three textbooks on electrical engineering: 'An Introduction to Electrical Science' (two editions, the second greatly expanded) and 'Electrical Engineering for Technicians'. [Link to new member's web blog redacted by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I guess "Professor Electron" is on a smaller scale than "Professor Proton"?

...perhaps 'Professor Proton' would have been more positive?

• Haha
Likes berkeman and PeroK