What Incline Is Needed for a Toboggan to Slide Downhill?

• Thread starter kamalpreet122
  • Start date
In summary, using the given coefficients of friction and weight of the toboggan and child, a minimum incline of 81.5 degrees is required for the toboggan to slide down the snowy hill. To find the angle required for the child to accelerate at half the rate of gravity, the equation sum of forces= mass*acceleration is used, with the given acceleration of 4.9 m/s^2. This results in an angle of approximately 26.6 degrees.
kamalpreet122

Homework Statement

On a cold day, a 35kg child takes a 3.5 kg toboggan to a snowy hill to slide down it. There is Us = 0.15 and Uk=0.05 between the hill and the toboggan. What is the minimum incline required before the toboggan will slide? What angle is required for the child to accelerate at half the rate of gravity?

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:
Us (coefficient of static friction) = 0.15
Uk (coefficient of kinematic friction) = 0.05

Ff (force of friction) = -X-component of Weight (mg)
Fn (normal force) = - Y-component of weight (mg)

therefore...
Ff = -mgCos[tex]\theta[/tex]-------- 1
Fn = -mgSin[tex]\theta[/tex]-------- 2

From equation 1

mg = - Ff / Cos[tex]\theta[/tex] ----- 3

Sub in 3 into 2

Fn = - (-Ff/Cos[tex]\theta[/tex] )( Sin[tex]\theta[/tex] )
Fn = FfTan[tex]\theta[/tex]

Minimum angle required for the object to slide is Critical Angle.. (therefore theta now represents critical angle)

--> Fn= FfTan[tex]\theta[/tex] ------ 4

Ff = UsFn ---------5

Sub in 5 into 4

Fn = UsFnTan[tex]\theta[/tex]

Fn / UsFn = Tan[tex]\theta[/tex]

Tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1 / Us

Tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1 / 0.15

-----> Tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = 6.67
[tex]\theta[/tex] = Tan-1(6.67)
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 81.5

So therefore 81.5 degrees is the minimum incline required for the toboggan to slide.. I think that's the answer to the first part of this problem.. I am not too sure though because I'm in grade 11 and haven't been taught much about such types of problems. Can someone please help me do the second part and check if i did the first part right.. i would really really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you've done the first part correctly; it's a somewhat unconventional approach but works just fine!
For the second part, you'll have to use the equation sum of forces= mass*acceleration. Recalculate the forces using the acceleration and mass given, the y-components of the forces will still add to zero so calculate the x-component of the force. Then work backwards to calculate theta.
Hope this helps.

i get that but the problem i face is .. there is no given acceleration =(

or do i use half of g (9.81/2) as the given acceleration ?

Yep, the given acceleration is just (9.8/2) m/s^2 or 4.9 m/s^2

What is "The child and the Toboggan" about?

"The child and the Toboggan" is a classic children's story about a young child who goes on an adventure with their toboggan and learns important lessons along the way.

Who wrote "The child and the Toboggan"?

Although the origin of the story is unknown, it has been adapted and retold by many authors over the years, making it a beloved tale for generations of children.

What are some of the main themes in "The child and the Toboggan"?

Some of the main themes in "The child and the Toboggan" include the importance of perseverance and determination, as well as the value of friendship and teamwork.

Is "The child and the Toboggan" based on a true story?

No, "The child and the Toboggan" is a fictional story with a moral lesson. However, it may have been inspired by real-life experiences of tobogganing and childhood adventures.

What age group is "The child and the Toboggan" appropriate for?

Although it is a children's story, "The child and the Toboggan" can be enjoyed by readers of all ages. It is especially popular among young children, but the timeless themes and heartwarming story make it a great read for anyone.