What in heaven's name is the 'Water Triple Point '?

In summary, water has a point in its temperature and pressure where it can be a solid, liquid, and gas.
Cortazar
What in heaven's name is the "'Water Triple Point"'?

And besides all the theory behind it, could you posit an experiment to prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org

It is the only point in the P,T plane where all three phases of water (solid, liquid, and gas) can coexist in equilibrium.

as for an experiment, well you would need a box of some sort with water inside, where you can carefully control the temperature and pressure, then by adjusting both to the required points, you should be able to see water go from liquid to solid to gas and back to liquid, only making slight changes in the conditions

heres a picture that shows the conditions at the point itself
http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094_NoteBook/96ClassProj/examples/trip_pt1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cortazar said:
And besides all the theory behind it, could you posit an experiment to prove it?

Prove WHAT?

Can you prove chess? Can you prove a car? Can you prove a dog?

Cortazar said:

It is the temperature and pressure at which water is solid, liquid, and gas.

Someone in my high school chemistry class produced this state, so I have seen it with my own eyes. Ice floating in boiling water.

PatrickPowers said:
Ice floating in boiling water.

Cool.

Is water the only (or one of a rare breed of) substances that has a triple point?

DaveC426913 said:
Is water the only (or one of a rare breed of) substances that has a triple point?

Table of triple points (Wikipedia)

Factoid: the triple point of water is part of the definition of the Kelvin temperature scale. It's defined as 273.16 K, exactly.

Last edited:

Not at all. The Wiki article on triple point includes a list of (some) materials with their triple points.

edit: Sorry. jtbell was faster.

DaveC426913 said:
Cool.

Apparently not the only one: . I'm having some laughs, I used youtube as a search engine for once, almost unbelievable.

Edit: both jtbell and nasu have been faster.

jtbell said:
Table of triple points (Wikipedia)

Factoid: the triple point of water is part of the definition of the Kelvin temperature scale. It's defined as 273.16 K, exactly.

nasu said:
Not at all. The Wiki article on triple point includes a list of (some) materials with their triple points.

edit: Sorry. jtbell was faster.
fluidistic said:
Apparently not the only one: . I'm having some laughs, I used youtube as a search engine for once, almost unbelievable.

Edit: both jtbell and nasu have been faster.

Excellent demonstration of the triple point of answers

Related to What in heaven's name is the 'Water Triple Point '?

What is the Water Triple Point?

The Water Triple Point is a specific temperature and pressure point at which water can exist in all three states: solid, liquid, and gas. At this point, the three phases of water are in equilibrium and can coexist without any phase change occurring.

Why is the Water Triple Point important?

The Water Triple Point is important because it is a fundamental physical constant that can be used to define the Kelvin temperature scale. It also serves as a reference point for accurately measuring temperature and pressure in laboratory experiments.

What is the significance of the Water Triple Point in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, the Water Triple Point is used as a reference point for defining the standard temperature and pressure (STP). It is also used in the calculation of phase diagrams, which show the relationship between temperature, pressure, and the state of matter for a particular substance.

How is the Water Triple Point determined?

The Water Triple Point is determined by measuring the temperature and pressure at which the solid, liquid, and gas phases of water can coexist in equilibrium. This is typically done using specialized equipment and precise measurement techniques.

Can the Water Triple Point change?

No, the Water Triple Point is a fundamental physical constant that is not affected by external factors. It remains constant at a temperature of 273.16 K (0.01°C) and a pressure of 611.2 Pa (0.006 atm).