What if there were no atmosphere

• Thread starter Ezio3.1415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atmosphere
In summary, without an atmosphere, the days and nights would be the same length and there would be no twilight. The elimination of atmospheric refraction would result in a few less minutes of sunlight each day. The Earth's moment of inertia and angular momentum would be less without an atmosphere, but if the Earth had lost its atmosphere billions of years ago, it would now rotate at a higher speed due to smaller tidal forces. The effect on the day night period would also depend on the process of removing the atmosphere.
Ezio3.1415
What would be the effect on day night period if there were no atmosphere? I mean would the days become longer or shorter? Why?PS:Admims,Trust me its not my homework...

Physics news on Phys.org
The days and nights would be the same length, but there would be no twilight.

Depending on how precise you want to be, you'd get a few less minutes of the sun being up due to the elimination of atmospheric refraction. Roughly 1 solar diameter at the horizon equals about 4 extra minutes each at sunrise/sunset if the sun is setting vertically:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_refraction

[edit: er - I calculated 2 min, but thought I remembered it being 4.]

The Earth's moment of inertia would be less,so angular velocity must increase to conserve the angular momentum... So day and night should be shorter...
Actually I asked the question,because many things can happen... I want to know what else are the factors?

russ_watters said:
Depending on how precise you want to be, you'd get a few less minutes of the sun being up due to the elimination of atmospheric refraction. Roughly 1 solar diameter at the horizon equals about 4 extra minutes each at sunrise/sunset:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_refraction
Oh, interesting.

Ezio3.1415 said:
The Earth's moment of inertia would be less,so angular velocity must increase to conserve the angular momentum...
No, its angular momentum would also be less, so there would be no change.

Ezio3.1415 said:
The Earth's moment of inertia would be less,so angular velocity must increase to conserve the angular momentum...
Conserve from what? We have to make up a story about how it lost its atmosphere or came to exist without one without changing its angular momentum. Now this is just idle speculation and storytelling.

russ_waters: yeah that's a big effect... Do u think my logic is logical?

now the Earth has to rotate with its atmosphere... So wouldn't the 'w' be a higher value if there's no atmosphere...

Ezio3.1415 said:
now the Earth has to rotate with its atmosphere... So wouldn't the 'w' be a higher value if there's no atmosphere...
No, why should it. The atmosphere has angular momentum. If it didn't exist then the Earth would have less angular momentum.

Now, if you are not just thinking of a "with vs without" scenario, but are rather thinking of a "before vs after" scenario, then you need to specify the process you are considering for removing the atmosphere.

If there was no atmosphere the oceans would evaporate. If the Earth had lost it's atmosphere 4 billion years ago, just as Mars did, it would now rotate at a higher speed since the tidal forces would be smaller.

Related to What if there were no atmosphere

1. What is the purpose of the atmosphere?

The atmosphere plays a crucial role in sustaining life on Earth. It provides us with oxygen to breathe, regulates the planet's temperature, and protects us from harmful radiation from the sun.

2. What would happen to the Earth if there were no atmosphere?

If there were no atmosphere, the Earth's surface would be exposed to extreme temperature fluctuations. The lack of oxygen would make it impossible for most living organisms to survive. The absence of the atmosphere's protective layer would also lead to increased levels of radiation and meteorite impacts.

3. Would the Earth still have weather without an atmosphere?

No, weather patterns and phenomena such as clouds, rain, and wind are a result of the atmosphere's interactions with the sun's energy. Without an atmosphere, there would be no weather on Earth.

4. How would the absence of the atmosphere affect the water cycle?

The water cycle relies on the atmosphere to transport water vapor from the Earth's surface to the atmosphere and back through precipitation. Without an atmosphere, the water cycle would not exist as we know it, resulting in no rain or other forms of precipitation on Earth.

5. Is it possible for a planet to exist without an atmosphere?

Yes, there are several planets in our solar system, such as Mercury and the Moon, that have little to no atmosphere. However, these planets are not capable of supporting life as we know it. The presence of an atmosphere is crucial for the sustenance of life on a planet.