What if something went faster than light?

In summary: I just think that if FTL neutrinos exist, they would be a really big deal and we would have to revise a lot of our understanding of the universe. In summary, the consensus is that there are no FTL neutrinos, but that further experiments are needed to determine this with certainty.
Willis666
When I heard about the faster than light neutrinos, I began wondering about what changes that would make in physics. I thought one would be that humans may eventually go at the speed of light. Another is that Einstein was wrong on one thing, and could have been wrong on some other things. What else is there? Somebody once told me that if you went faster than light, you could go backwards in time?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Willis666 said:
Another is that Einstein was wrong on one thing, and could have been wrong on some other things.

One important basis in science is that an argument is independent of the person presenting it, it is quite dangerous to accept or dismiss something simply because of WHO said it.

Willis666 said:
When I heard about the faster than light neutrinos, I began wondering about what changes that would make in physics. I thought one would be that humans may eventually go at the speed of light. Another is that Einstein was wrong on one thing, and could have been wrong on some other things. What else is there? Somebody once told me that if you went faster than light, you could go backwards in time?

Thanks!

Going FTL is a false premise. From a false premise, you can deduce absolutely anything and everything. I deduce from our ability to go FTL that the big bang was caused by two really large unicorns clashing horns.

The consensus, even among the CERN experimenters is that there are no FTL neutrinos, what there is is a very meticulously done experiment in which they have not yet been able to find the measurement error.

Not many changes would really need to be made. Assuming special relativity holds has been wildly successful over the past 100+ years. If neutrinos are not confined to special relativity's restrictions, it would simply be an exception that would have to be taken into account.

It's just like Newtonian mechanics being supplanted by relativity. Everything in our daily life is pretty much governed by Newtonian mechanics. When I drop a ball, I don't need to talk about relativistic effects to do a good experiment. It works perfectly well in a certain domain. If neutrinos are not restricted by special relativity, then it just means that they're governed by a different theory we don't know yet.

@phinds

I disagree that it's a false premise. If, amazingly, those neutrinos were going faster than light, it simply means that neutrinos are apparently only governed by SR approximately. In General Relativity, the problem exists. We know GR is probably not the whole story, so it's foolish to say that no experiment could ever show SR is wrong (or at least, not exact for all particles). Falsifiability must be preserved.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Going FTL is a false premise. From a false premise, you can deduce absolutely anything and everything. I deduce from our ability to go FTL that the big bang was caused by two really large unicorns clashing horns.

The consensus, even among the CERN experimenters is that there are no FTL neutrinos, what there is is a very meticulously done experiment in which they have not yet been able to find the measurement error.

Could you cite a source for the consensus? The only information I can glean from a leading spokesman is an agnostic position:

"Despite the latest result, said Autiero, the observed faster-than-light anomaly in the neutrinos' speed from Cern to Gran Sasso needed further scrutiny and independent tests before it could be refuted or confirmed definitively. The Opera experiment will continue to take data with a new muon detector well into next year, to improve the accuracy of the results."

www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/nov/18/neutrinos-still-faster-than-light?newsfeed=true

danR said:
Could you cite a source for the consensus?

I have no specific reference, other than the LONG thread on this forum about the results (I HAVE read other reports, but have no references to any of them)

phinds said:
I have no specific reference, other than the LONG thread on this forum about the results (I HAVE read other reports, but have no references to any of them)

You mean the CERN thread. I have trouble with that discussion; it seems to have settled down to a dispute over just where the measurement error lies, rather than what are we going to do if it there is no error at all (and if Glashow is wrong, etc). After your post I tried searching the CERN site itself for recent news releases about the results, but couldn't find anything.

A few papers have addressed the matter and one has argued causality need not be breached by FTL neutrinos. There is also the Scharnhorst effect predicted between Casimir plates, also not breaching causality, but the effect would be immeasurably small.

Neutrino dispersion relation changes due to radiative corrections
as the origin of faster-than-light-in-vacuum propagation in a
medium.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5411

I'm not qualified to judge the soundness of his arguments, however.

Dan, I'm not particuarly qualified to judge this, but I believe that it says something significant that, as you say, the CERN thread has settled into a discussion of where the measurement error is. Physicists LIKE exciting new things, and FTL is VERY exciting, so the general disbelief about the CERN results seems significant to me.

Yes, it COULD still be an indication of FTL travel, but I won't believe that until there is more conclusive evidence and I really don't expect to see any.

Related to What if something went faster than light?

1. Can anything actually travel faster than the speed of light?

Currently, according to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is considered to be a fundamental limitation of the universe. While there have been some theories and experiments that suggest the possibility of particles traveling faster than light, these have not been confirmed and are still highly debated among scientists.

2. What would happen if something did travel faster than light?

If something were to travel faster than light, it would violate the principles of causality and would lead to paradoxes such as time travel and violation of the laws of conservation of energy. It is not possible to accurately predict the consequences of such an event, as it goes against our current understanding of the universe.

3. Why is the speed of light considered to be the universal speed limit?

The speed of light is considered to be the universal speed limit because it is the fastest speed at which information can travel. This is due to the fact that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and the energy required to accelerate it further also increases. As a result, it becomes impossible to accelerate an object to reach or exceed the speed of light.

4. Is there any evidence of anything traveling faster than light?

There have been some experiments and observations that suggest the possibility of particles traveling faster than light, such as the reported faster-than-light speeds of neutrinos in 2011. However, these results were later found to be due to errors in the experimental setup. As of now, there is no concrete evidence of anything traveling faster than light.

5. Could the laws of physics be different in other parts of the universe where something could travel faster than light?

While it is possible that the laws of physics may be different in other parts of the universe, it is highly unlikely that something could travel faster than light. The speed of light is considered to be a fundamental constant of the universe and is consistent throughout all observations and experiments. It is also important to note that the theory of relativity, which includes the speed of light as a universal speed limit, has been extensively tested and confirmed to be accurate.