What if n is in the summation?

• Thread starter mohabitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the problem is that the closed form of the summation does not equal the manual summation when n=3 is used as a test value. The reason for this is that the n that was factored out of the manual summation is not accounted for in the closed form.
mohabitar
I'm trying to get a closed form of a summation, however n is in the summation itself. Here's an example:

yjgAS.png

Ive never encountered such a thing. What happens to the n? Does it stay in there as n in the closed form? So then we have n/2^k which the closed form turns out to be:

n/ [2^(n+1)-1 / (2-1)]

However, when I tested my solution using a test value, the two versions didnt check out, so obviously I'm doing something wrong. And the instructions say to read the question carefully, which is kinda scary as wel.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think 'n' depends on 'k', so you can effectively treat it as a constant and factor it out of the summation.

So then were left with 1/2^k. However, if we use this formula for .5^k, we get [.5^(n+1)-1 / (.5-1)] multiplied by the N we factored out, and when we use a test value of say n=3, the manual summation and the closed form total do not equal, meaning there had to be some mistake.

mohabitar said:
So then were left with 1/2^k. However, if we use this formula for .5^k, we get [.5^(n+1)-1 / (.5-1)] multiplied by the N we factored out, and when we use a test value of say n=3, the manual summation and the closed form total do not equal, meaning there had to be some mistake.

Are you sure what you posted is the correct solution?

Also, in your formula are you accounting for the fact that your sum starts at k=2 and not k=1 or 0 ?

Last edited:
You need to think about this question rock.freak asked:
rock.freak667 said:
Also, in your formula are you accounting for the fact that your sum starts at k=2 and not k=1 or 0 ?

The purpose of this exercise was to make sure you read such expressions properly, not taking it for something else that looks vaguely the same. For comment of yours this looks to have been necessary and useful. As this is the main point, for the actual series they gave you something easy. :biggrin: However you are making a bit heavy weather of it, though I expect you have seen geometrical series before now.

You take out the factor n. Now I will talk about the rest but don't forget to but the n back at the end.

One way to do it is to write,

[tex] \sum_{k=2}^n 2^{-k} = 2^{-2} + 2^{-3} + ... + 2^{-n}[/tex]

[tex] = \sum_{k=2}^\infty 2^{-k} - \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty} 2^-^k[/tex]

Now can you see the second infinite sum here is the same as the first multiplied by a factor? (If you can't yet see this, then write this series out explicitly like I have in the top line).I would take out this factor, then you will see you can write the thing as product of a finite expression multiplying the well-known infinite series (which is actually a bit easier to sum than a finite one! and anyway you seem to know it). If you do these steps of make progress on the problem the way you were doing but get it right via the hints I will show you something nice about the infinite series.

Actually now I have looked at your calc. again you could use the same idea of a factor in the calculation you have done (you are applying a formula from a book or somewhere without looking carefully what exactly it is a formula for.)

Could you now take away your big image since it makes the page awkward to use.

Last edited:

Related to What if n is in the summation?

1. What does it mean if n is in the summation?

If n is in the summation, it means that the summation is being performed over a series of values, with n representing the variable that takes on different values in the series.

2. How is n used in the summation?

N is typically used as a placeholder for a series of values in a summation. It can represent any variable or number and is often used in conjunction with other variables or expressions in the summation.

3. Can n be any number in the summation?

Yes, n can represent any number in the summation as long as it follows the defined pattern or rule of the summation. It can also be used as a limit for the summation, indicating the number of times the summation should be performed.

4. How does the value of n affect the result of the summation?

The value of n can greatly affect the result of the summation, as it is the variable that determines which values are being summed. Changing the value of n can result in a different set of values being summed, leading to a different overall result.

5. Is n always required in a summation?

No, n is not always required in a summation. There are cases where a summation can be performed without an n variable, such as when the summation involves a constant or a single value. However, n is commonly used in summations to represent a series of values.