What heat capacity is needed to evaporate water in oil

In summary, an industrial fryer with a heating capacity of 400 kW can fry 2,000 kg of chicken nuggets per hour. The fryer may contain up to 1.450 liters of oil, which loses 7% of its moisture content during the frying process. It takes as much as 8 kW to evaporate 1 liter of water at room temperature, which means that a significant amount of the 400 kW power is spent on the production of steam.
Adrianus

Homework Statement

In an industrial fryer is f.e. 400 kW. Heating capacity installed. The fryer may contain as much as 1.450 ltr of oil. I can fry 2.000 kg of chicken nuggets per hour in that. These products loose 7% of moisture/water in this process. That water can only escape from oil in gas form i.e. steam.
My question is, how much of my 400 kW is spend on the undesired steam forming of the 140 liter of water coming from the product. Can anybody give an indication?
In another thread I read that it takes as much as 8 kW to evaporate 1 liter of water. This would be more than the installed power in my fryer so cannot be true in this case. The frying process seems to be a much more efficient way to create steam but is not very efficient because we do not need steam.

Homework Equations

To evaporate 1 liter of water at room temperature requires ca. 8 kW I read in another post

The Attempt at a Solution

None

[ Mod Note: member indicates he is working with this industrial fryer and he is not a student ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem was you had the wrong figure to evaporate , it's not 8Kwhrs/liter

2260000J to to turn 1liter water (@100C) to steam divide by 3600 = 627 Whrs = 0.627 Kw hrs ...x 140 = 87.888 Kw hrs

This is a lot of energy if some way could be found to capture this steam , put it through a heat exchanger to heat water for coffee and tea , washing dishes, you would have a million $ invention

Likes NascentOxygen
@Adrianus & @oz93666 Just to make sure it is clear, it looks to me like the two of you are using different conventions for decimals; comma versus period. So that's 1450 L of oil and 2000 kg of chicken. Unless that is lunchtime on an aircraft carrier with a single galley, that's not a kitchen, that's a processing plant.

But yeah, I certainly hope the place already has some sort of energy and water recovery system on its exhaust...

88 kW (88 kWh per hour) is real money.

Hi Russ, you are right, in Europe we use periods to separate 1.000 and comma b4 decimals but we have a good understanding. It is by the way for processing plants where such industrial fryers play an important role. I believe that I got a very good answer now from oz. 88 kW is a very realistic figure to work with. Thank you mr. Oz93666

Related to What heat capacity is needed to evaporate water in oil

What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

What is the heat capacity of water?

The heat capacity of water is 4.18 joules per gram per degree Celsius.

What is the heat capacity of oil?

The heat capacity of oil can vary depending on the type of oil, but on average it is around 2 joules per gram per degree Celsius.

Why is heat capacity important in evaporation?

Heat capacity is important in evaporation because it determines the amount of heat energy needed to change the state of a substance from liquid to gas. In order to evaporate water in oil, enough heat energy must be supplied to overcome the intermolecular forces holding the water molecules together.

What factors affect the heat capacity needed to evaporate water in oil?

The heat capacity needed to evaporate water in oil can be affected by factors such as the temperature of the oil, the type of oil, the amount of water present, and the surrounding environmental conditions.