What has thermal energy but not heat? (and vice versa)

Therefore, in summary, thermal energy can exist without heat, such as in a system with no heat transfer, while heat cannot exist without thermal energy as it is a form of energy transfer. As for what affects angular momentum, it is required for a change in angular momentum to occur. These questions were posed by a teacher for a test and the first two can be answered by considering the first law of thermodynamics.
TestTomorrow
This isn't homework, so i thought it could go here.

1) What has thermal energy but not heat?
2) What has heat but not thermal energy
3) What effects angular momentum?

Science news on Phys.org
are these questions posed by a book or teacher?

for 3) i would rephrase the question as "what is required for a change in angular momentum". I think that might be what the question is after.

If I'm on the right track, 1) and 2) are also poorly phrased questions that can be answered by considering the first law. I might be off track though.

It's from a teacher for on a test.

I know thermal energy is the energy of motion from particles or atoms. And that heat is energy transfer.

Related to What has thermal energy but not heat? (and vice versa)

1. What is the difference between thermal energy and heat?

Thermal energy is the total energy of all the particles within a substance, including both kinetic and potential energy. Heat, on the other hand, is the transfer of thermal energy from a warmer object to a cooler object. In other words, thermal energy is a form of energy, while heat is a process of energy transfer.

2. Can an object have thermal energy but not heat?

Yes, an object can have thermal energy without necessarily transferring heat. For example, a hot cup of coffee has thermal energy because its particles are moving rapidly, but if it is left alone in a room, it will eventually cool down without transferring heat to its surroundings.

3. What are some examples of substances that have thermal energy but not heat?

There are many examples of substances that have thermal energy without transferring heat. Some common examples include a hot cup of coffee, a pot of boiling water, a heated metal rod, and a warm human body. In all of these cases, the objects have thermal energy because their particles are in motion, but they are not transferring heat to their surroundings.

4. Can an object have heat but not thermal energy?

No, an object cannot have heat without having thermal energy. Heat is a form of energy, so any object that is transferring heat must also have thermal energy. For example, if you hold a hot cup of coffee, the heat from the coffee is transferring to your hand, and your hand will gain thermal energy from the coffee.

5. How can thermal energy and heat be measured?

Thermal energy can be measured in joules (J) or calories (cal), while heat is typically measured in joules (J) or British Thermal Units (BTUs). The amount of thermal energy an object has is directly related to its temperature, so temperature can also be used as an indirect measure of thermal energy. Heat is usually measured using a thermometer or a calorimeter, which measures the temperature change in a substance due to the transfer of heat.