Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

What has been done here to simplify the integration

nacho

Sep 10, 2013
Please refer to the attached image.

My lecturer seems to have re-written $e^{-st}$ as $\frac{d}{dt}e^{-st}$ and taken out the $(-\frac{1}{s}$ which I do see is equivalent, but i am unsure how he goes from there onwards.

Although, e is the derivative of itself. how does he split the integral into two, despite there being a multiplication of the terms?

Attachments

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Please refer to the attached image.

My lecturer seems to have re-written $e^{-st}$ as $\frac{d}{dt}e^{-st}$ and taken out the $(-\frac{1}{s}$ which I do see is equivalent, but i am unsure how he goes from there onwards.

Although, e is the derivative of itself. how does he split the integral into two, despite there being a multiplication of the terms?
Your lecturer has applied the 'integration by parts' rule...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

nacho

Sep 10, 2013
hah. thanks..
that was mildly embarrassing.

i didn't closely to see if he had done so. when he was talking in the lecture he mentioned that there was a 'trick' way to integrate this w/o integrating by parts or something along those lines.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
hah. thanks..
that was mildly embarrassing.

i didn't closely to see if he had done so. when he was talking in the lecture he mentioned that there was a 'trick' way to integrate this w/o integrating by parts or something along those lines.
I would ask him again what it was he said. By-parts is certainly the standard way to integrate this, and it's not all that difficult, once you know how. I suppose you could set up tabular integration, but that's just a unified way of keeping track of by-parts. It wouldn't be worth it for only one application of by-parts.

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
The first step depends upon the fact that [tex]\frac{d(e^{-st})}{dt}= -s e^{-st}[/tex] so that, dividing both sides by -s, [tex]e^{-st}= -\frac{1}{s}\frac{d(e^{-st})}{dt}[/tex].

Of course, since "s" is independent of the integration variable, t, we can take [tex]-\frac{1}{s}[/tex] out of the integral.