What happens with the electrons in electrical appliances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of electrons in electrical appliances, specifically in a Geiger-Müller tube and an ionisation chamber. Electrons are knocked out by radiation and cause an electron avalanche that creates a current. The anode collects the electrons and they go through the circuitry before returning to the cathode. In an ionisation chamber, the inner walls may act as the opposite electrode to the anode, but some chambers may only have an anode. The conversation also mentions the Bragg-Gray cavity theory and how metal in the field can affect electron trajectories. Finally, it is mentioned that bombarding metal with ionising radiation can create an equilibrium situation with a cloud of electrons.
abotiz
Hi,

I have a loose understanding of some things in life.
This in particular regards the electrons in electrical appliances.

Lets say electrons in a Geiger–Müller tube. They way it is described is that radiation interacts with the chamber wall or the gas and knocks out electrons. These electron causes electron avalanche because of the voltage placed on the anode, accelerations etc etc. The signal is the current produced from these charges. They describe it as the anode "collects" the electrons. The next signal can be produced as soon as the gas neutralizes, usually after some 100s mikroseconds.

There is probably a lot of simplifications here. One question I have is, if the elctrons is collected at the anode, how is the gas in the chamber neutralized? Is there an influx of electrons from somewhere else compensating for the "collection" at the anode?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
abotiz said:
One question I have is, if the elctrons is collected at the anode, how is the gas in the chamber neutralized? Is there an influx of electrons from somewhere else compensating for the "collection" at the anode?

Those electrons leave the anode, go through the circuitry, the power supply and back to the cathode of the tube

1 electron out, another one in

EDIT, I should clarify that a little
A basic description ...
There is a high voltage across the GM tube. but under normal conditions, the electrons on the cathode
cannot traverse the path through the gas between the cathode and the anode.
When a gamma ray passes through the tube, it ionises atoms of gas along its path.
this allows the high voltage(energy) electrons to traverse that ionised path from the cathode to the anode

NOTE: The gas is NOT a source for the electrons

a fuller description ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger–Müller_tube

the GM tube I have is not one with a window on one end. It is a solid brass tube and as such will only detect X-rays and Gamma rays that can penetrate the thin brass tube. I cannot detect Alpha and Beta particles which are stopped very easily by many materials such as a sheet of paper etcDave

Last edited:
Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
That makes sense.

Another related question, in the same family, the Ionisation chamber, which also have an anode. The cathode in same cases does not seem so obvious. We have one where you can exchange the cap/chamber, and it looks like the only metal part is the anode. I think this also applies to most of the ionisation chambers, they have a plastic cap/chamber wall. I don't there is a metal coating on the inside.

So, is it possible to only have an anode? That the voltage difference across the chamber is from the anode and to ground/chamber wall so, the previous reply that they are are returned to the cathode does not apply right?

Thank you

abotiz said:
Another related question, in the same family, the Ionisation chamber, which also have an anode. The cathode in same cases does not seem so obvious. We have one where you can exchange the cap/chamber, and it looks like the only metal part is the anode. I think this also applies to most of the ionisation chambers, they have a plastic cap/chamber wall. I don't there is a metal coating on the inside.

So, is it possible to only have an anode? That the voltage difference across the chamber is from the anode and to ground/chamber wall so, the previous reply that they are are returned to the cathode does not apply right?

HI there

I have never worked with ionisation chambers per-se so can't answer that directly.
I will do some googling and see if I can find anything, you could do the same and see what either of us come up with
some one else may also chime in

it's possible the inner walls of the chamber ( if lined) are the opposite electrode

Dave

Thank you Dave.

Yes, that's what they say. But I think there is something else to the story. I know for a fact that chamber walls for ionisation champer are often air or water equivalent to be able to measure a quantity that can be related to us humans (approx. water bodies).
If I remember correctly according to the Bragg–Gray cavity theory, there should not be a metal in the field except for the anode. This would perturb the electron trajectories and the approximations made would not be possible.

If you bombard an isolated piece of metal with ionising radiation (it only works for certain metals) you will cause electrons to be knocked off, leaving the metal with a positive charge. As you continue the bombardment, the metal will become so highly charged that it will attract the departing electrons and they will hang around in a cloud, with some of them constantly being attracted back. In the end there will be an equilibrium situation with the same number of electrons leaving as being recombined.

Related to What happens with the electrons in electrical appliances?

What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electrons through a conductive material. It is a form of energy that powers electrical appliances and devices.

How do electrons move in electrical appliances?

Electrons move through electrical appliances by flowing from a negative terminal to a positive terminal. This flow of electrons is called an electric current.

What happens to electrons when an electrical appliance is turned on?

When an electrical appliance is turned on, the electrons in the conductive material start to move in a specific direction, creating an electric current. This current powers the appliance and allows it to function.

Can electrons be created or destroyed in electrical appliances?

No, electrons cannot be created or destroyed in electrical appliances. They simply flow through the conductive material and are not used up in the process. However, their movement can be controlled to power the appliance.

What happens to the electrons when an electrical appliance is turned off?

When an electrical appliance is turned off, the flow of electrons stops and the electric current ceases. The electrons will remain in the conductive material until the appliance is turned on again and the current starts flowing once more.