What happens when two charged spheres are brought into contact?

In summary: This means the final charge on each sphere will be the same. In summary, when a metal sphere A with a charge of +5q is touched to a sphere B with a charge of -q, both spheres will end up with a final charge of +2q. The circle view of the final sphere would show a single circle with a + sign, indicating the equal charge on both spheres.
Gyoza06
When a metal sphere, A, with a charge of +5q is touched to a sphere,B, with a charge of -q what would each of the spheres charge would be and what would there the circle view of the final sphere?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Gyoza06,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Gyoza06 said:
When a metal sphere, A, with a charge of +5q is touched to a sphere,B, with a charge of -q what would each of the spheres charge would be and what would there the circle view of the final sphere?

thanks

Could you rewrite the problem? I'm not sure how to interpret it. Is sphere A the same size as sphere B? What do you mean by "circle view" and "final" sphere?

Also, please let us know what you think the answer is and why. You must show us that you have attempted the problem before we can help. :smile:

ya sorry I am new to this but the spheres are identical and by final circle view i mean the picture diagram used to show the charge take place with a circle with either + or - signs indicating the charge. if i messed this up again i apologize.

my solution is sphere A ends up with a charge of +2.5q and sphere B ends up with a charge of +1.5q

Gyoza06 said:
my solution is sphere A ends up with a charge of +2.5q and sphere B ends up with a charge of +1.5q

You should rethink your answer. If the conducting spheres are identical in size and shape, and there is a charge difference between them, current will flow from one sphere to the other if they are touching (thus changing the charge on each sphere) until equilibrium is reached.

Related to What happens when two charged spheres are brought into contact?

1. What is charge by contact?

Charge by contact is a process through which a neutral object gains or loses electrons when it comes into contact with a charged object. This results in the neutral object becoming charged with the same type of charge as the charged object it came into contact with.

2. How does charge by contact work?

When two objects come into contact, electrons can transfer from one object to the other. The object with a higher number of electrons will transfer some to the object with a lower number of electrons, resulting in one object becoming positively charged and the other becoming negatively charged.

3. What is the difference between charge by contact and charge by induction?

Charge by contact involves direct contact between two objects, while charge by induction does not require physical contact. In charge by induction, a charged object is brought near a neutral object, causing a separation of charges within the neutral object and resulting in a temporary charge.

4. Can charge by contact be used to create a permanent charge?

No, charge by contact only results in a temporary charge. Once the two objects are separated, the charge will be lost as the electrons redistribute themselves to achieve neutrality.

5. What are some real-life examples of charge by contact?

Some examples of charge by contact include rubbing a balloon on hair to make it stick to a wall, rubbing a comb on a woolen sweater to pick up small pieces of paper, and using a Van de Graaff generator to transfer charge to a person's body.