What happens when tube is immersed in a liquid?

In summary, the tube of water is closed at the top and immersed in water. The atmospheric pressure is the normal one. When a tube is closed at the top, the air in the tube must be compressed by some pressure greater than that acting on the top of the liquid. The pressure at the bottom of the tube has to be related to the pressure in the remainder of the reservoir at the depth h.
DorelXD

Homework Statement

A tube of length L=1 m closed at its upper end is immerged vertically, with its openend, in water by a distance l=27 cm. The atmospherical pressure is the normal one. Find the length of the water column that enters the tube. Consider the process isothermal.

Homework Equations

Since the process is isothermal the produc between the pressure of the gas and its volume is constat. I belvie we also need the formula for the hydrostatic pressure.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what bugs me. When we Immerge a tube in the conditions of the problem, what is the correct situation? A or B? What I mean is, does the level of the liquid in the tube stabilize below the level of the liquid in the vase, or above it?

whatiscorrect_zps468486ad.png

I say that the correct situation is B, because we "push" the liquid with a certain force due tot the air molecules inside the tube, but I'm not sure. I found situation A quite plasauble.

Please, help me! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Explain why normally still liquid would "shoot up" if covered by a closed tube.

voko said:
Explain why normally still liquid would "shoot up" if covered by a closed tube.

Well, I can't find a reason. If the situation were a little bit different, then I would be able to explain. For example, consider a cilinder divided into two containers. The containers are separated by a movable piston. The reason why the half below the piston would "shoot up" is that the pressure of the gas molecules below has overcome the pressure of the gas molecules above.

I can't find a reason why a normally still liquid would "shoot up" if covered by a closed tube, because the liquid dosen't exert a certian pressure to the gas. The liquid would exert a hydrostatic pressure, if it were above the gas. But it is below.

First, is the tube closed on the top, as it appears to be in the pictures? Then the air in the tube must be compressed by some pressure greater than that acting on the top of the liquid. And that is only possible if the air presses down into the liquid.

If the tube is NOT closed on the to then the surface tension of the liquid will cause it to "creep" slightly up the tube.

HallsofIvy said:
First, is the tube closed on the top, as it appears to be in the pictures? Then the air in the tube must be compressed by some pressure greater than that acting on the top of the liquid. And that is only possible if the air presses down into the liquid.

If the tube is NOT closed on the to then the surface tension of the liquid will cause it to "creep" slightly up the tube.

Yes, the tube is closed.

DorelXD said:
I can't find a reason why a normally still liquid would "shoot up" if covered by a closed tube, because the liquid dosen't exert a certian pressure to the gas. The liquid would exert a hydrostatic pressure, if it were above the gas. But it is below.

The liquid at the surface does have a certain pressure. This is the pressure of the atmosphere that surrounds it. Will that cause the liquid to shoot up if you insert a tube, closed at the top, with air at the atmospheric pressure?

If any liquid enters the tube, the pressure within the air in the tube will be higher than atmospheric. That would mean that figure B is correct. Use the ideal gas law to express the new pressure within the gas in terms of the tube length L, and the distance d. How does the pressure at the bottom of the tube have to be related to the pressure in the remainder of the reservoir at the depth h?

Chet

voko said:
The liquid at the surface does have a certain pressure. This is the pressure of the atmosphere that surrounds it. Will that cause the liquid to shoot up if you insert a tube, closed at the top, with air at the atmospheric pressure?

How can that be? The liquid is below, it dosen't presses on the air...

Chestermiller said:
If any liquid enters the tube, the pressure within the air in the tube will be higher than atmospheric. That would mean that figure B is correct. Use the ideal gas law to express the new pressure within the gas in terms of the tube length L, and the distance d. How does the pressure at the bottom of the tube have to be related to the pressure in the remainder of the reservoir at the depth h?

Chet

This would be easy, but I still don't understand why the liquid dosen' "shoot up".

DorelXD said:
How can that be? The liquid is below, it dosen't presses on the air...

In a similar problem you solved recently, you used that :)

The air above the liquid exerts some pressure on it, The liquid has no choice but to be at the same pressure just below the air, and develop additional pressure due to its own weight as depth increases.

voko said:
In a similar problem you solved recently, you used that :)

The liquid has no choice but to be at the same pressure just below the air, and develop additional pressure due to its own weight as depth increases.

Ok, I totally agree, and I strongly believe that it has something to do with Newton's third law, right? but I can't understand why the liquid dosen't behave like in situation A. It's such a simple thing, and I don't ubderstand it.

Just to be clear, do you mean that at the green line there is a pressure on the air due to the liquid? That is due to action-reaction theorem principle, right?
whatiscorrect_zpse62490ac.png

Last edited:
Something must force the liquid into the tube for situation A to happen. What could that be?

Likes 1 person
voko said:
Something must force the liquid into the tube for situation A to happen. What could that be?

A difference of pressure between the air in the tube and the liquid, at the contact point between them?

And please, I want to know if there is a pressure at the green line.

DorelXD said:
A difference of pressure between the air in the tube and the liquid, at the contact point between them?

What pressure would you have in the air in the tube in situation A?

And please, I want to know if there is a pressure at the green line.

I think we have already covered this. But again: what is the pressure at the surface of a liquid surrounded by atmosphere?

DorelXD said:
This would be easy, but I still don't understand why the liquid dosen' "shoot up".
No problem. Just work out the formulation of the equation. Here's a hint. In the formulation, it doesn't matter whether you assume that figure A prevails or figure B prevails. The formulation will be the same for both figures. The solution to the equation will tell you which picture is correct and, more importantly, why. So, as I said in my previous post, use the ideal gas law to express the new pressure within the gas in terms of the tube length L, and the distance d and atmospheric pressure pa. What is your equation for the pressure of the gas above the liquid interface in the tube?

Chet

Oops. I just saw that you added a question in an edit. I advice against adding things in edits, they are too easy to overlook. Just add another post.

Consider a very small volume of liquid of a negligible mass just at its surface. We know it does not move with time, so its velocity and acceleration are zero. By Newton's second law, the sum of all the forces must then also be zero. But we have a downward force due to the atmospheric pressure. Something then must cancel this force out. What is it?

What pressure would you have in the air in the tube in situation A?
(@Voko)

Well, let's consider the lower end of the tube. At that level, the pressure must be the same everywhere. So, we have (consider p_0 the atmospherical pressure):

[itex] p_0+\rho g h=p_A+ \rho g d => p_A=p_0-\rho g (h-d) [/itex].

I think we have already covered this. But again: what is the pressure at the surface of a liquid surrounded by atmosphere?

Well, the atmospherical pressure.

Consider a very small volume of liquid of a negligible mass just at its surface. We know it does not move with time, so its velocity and acceleration are zero. By Newton's second law, the sum of all the forces must then also be zero. But we have a downward force due to the atmospheric pressure. Something then must cancel this force out. What is it?
I believe is the force that the surface of the container exerts on the liquid, a.k.a the normal force?
No problem. Just work out the formulation of the equation. Here's a hint. In the formulation, it doesn't matter whether you assume that figure A prevails or figure B prevails. The formulation will be the same for both figures. The solution to the equation will tell you which picture is correct and, more importantly, why. So, as I said in my previous post, use the ideal gas law to express the new pressure within the gas in terms of the tube length L, and the distance d and atmospheric pressure pa. What is your equation for the pressure of the gas above the liquid interface in the tube?

Chet

Then, let's take the A situation. Consider a intial situation, when the tube begins to make contact with the surface of the water, and the A situation as the final one. In the initial situation, a volume [itex]Sl[/itex] of air at atmospherical pressure, [itex] p_A[/itex], will be enclosed in the tube. So we have:

[itex] p_1=p_a
V_1=Sl
[/itex]

For the final state:
[itex]
p_2=\rho g(h-d)+ p_a

V_2=(L-d)S
[/itex]

As this is an isothermical transformation we have that: [itex] p_1V_1=p_2V_2=>

0= \rho ghd^2-d(\rho gL+\rho gh+ p_a)+\rho ghL [/itex] which is a quadratic equation.

DorelXD said:
(@Voko)

Well, let's consider the lower end of the tube. At that level, the pressure must be the same everywhere. So, we have (consider p_0 the atmospherical pressure):

[itex] p_0+\rho g h=p_A+ \rho g d => p_A=p_0-\rho g (h-d) [/itex].

No, that should be ## p_A=p_0 + \rho g (h-d) ##. And because ## d > h ##, you have ## p_A < p_0 ##. Now, how could that happen in a tube with its top closed?

DorelXD said:
I believe is the force that the surface of the container exerts on the liquid, a.k.a the normal force?

How can the surface of the container exert a force on the surface of the liquid?

In both situations A and B, by the ideal gas law, the pressure of the air within the tube is [itex]p_a\frac{L}{L-d}[/itex]. The pressure at the bottom of the tube is then [itex]p_a\frac{L}{L-d}+ρgd[/itex]. This must match the pressure within the reservoir at the depth of the bottom of the tube [itex]p_a+ρgh[/itex]. Equating these pressures gives (at static equilibrium):
[tex]p_a\frac{L}{L-d}+ρgd=p_a+ρgh[/tex]
All that needs to be done us to solve this equation for d, using the quadratic formula.

voko said:
No, that should be ## p_A=p_0 + \rho g (h-d) ##. And because ## d > h ##, you have ## p_A < p_0 ##. Now, how could that happen in a tube with its top closed?

Indeed, sorry :D .

And because d>h, you have pA<p0. Now, how could that happen in a tube with its top closed?

I really don't know. Could you explain, please?

Last edited:
voko said:
How can the surface of the container exert a force on the surface of the liquid?

Isn't that force analogous to the one a surface of an incline plane exerts on a body that rests on it?

Chestermiller said:
In both situations A and B, by the ideal gas law, the pressure of the air within the tube is [itex]p_a\frac{L}{L-d}[/itex].

I don't get this part, sorry. By the way, thank you all for your answers and for the patience! I really appreciate it!

DorelXD said:
Indeed, sorry :D .

So, have you understood which of A and B is possible and why?

DorelXD said:
Isn't that force analogous to the one a surface of an incline plane exerts on a body that rests on it?

The bottom of the container does indeed exert a normal force. However, that force acts on the liquid which is just close to the bottom, not on the liquid that it is at the interface with the atmosphere.

So, have you understood which of A and B is possible and why?

No, I haven't. :( :( :( :( :(

The bottom of the container does indeed exert a normal force. However, that force acts on the liquid which is just close to the bottom, not on the liquid that it is at the interface with the atmosphere.

Why is that?

I get it, I get it, I get it! O my God, I can't believe I finally got it! Well, if the temperature remains the same, in situation A, the final pressure drops. If the final pressure drops, that means that the volume of the air increases, by the law of the isothermical transformation. But this is a contradction, since the air molecuels can't escape the tube! So, the situation A is impossible! You guys, are the best!

Also it is clear, that the volume occupied by the gas molecules decreases since a part of the tube will be filled with liquid.

DorelXD said:
Why is that?

How else can it be? A force cannot magically act on something it cannot reach.

P.S. Well done on your final conclusion!

Likes 1 person
voko said:

How else can it be? A force cannot magically act on something it cannot reach.

P.S. Well done on your final conclusion!

Thank you for your appreciation, and especially for your help! I get that now, too. I've mistaken the liquid with a material point, which has no size, and with which we work when we deal with classical mehanics problems.

Related to What happens when tube is immersed in a liquid?

What happens when a tube is immersed in a liquid?

When a tube is immersed in a liquid, several things can happen depending on the properties of the liquid and the tube. Some possible outcomes include:

• The liquid fills the tube completely, in which case the tube is now filled with the liquid.
  • The liquid partially fills the tube, causing the level of the liquid inside the tube to rise.
  • The liquid does not enter the tube at all, meaning the tube is not affected by the liquid.
  • If the tube is open on both ends and one end is submerged in the liquid, the liquid may rise up the tube due to capillary action.
  • If the tube is closed on one end and open on the other, the liquid may rise to the same level inside the tube as it is outside, due to the principle of communicating vessels.

What factors affect how a liquid behaves when it comes into contact with a tube?

The behavior of a liquid when it comes into contact with a tube is influenced by several factors, including:

• The properties of the liquid, such as its density, viscosity, and surface tension.
  • The properties of the tube, such as its material, shape, and size.
  • The temperature of the liquid and the tube.
  • The pressure of the liquid and the tube.
  • The presence of any other substances in the liquid or on the surface of the tube.

How does the shape of the tube affect the behavior of a liquid when it is immersed?

The shape of the tube can have a significant impact on the behavior of a liquid when it is immersed. For example:

• A narrower tube will generally cause the liquid to rise higher due to capillary action.
  • A wider tube will allow more liquid to enter and fill the tube.
  • A tube with a curved or angled shape may cause the liquid to move in a particular direction.
  • The shape of the tube may also affect the rate at which the liquid enters or exits the tube.

What are some real-life applications of tubes being immersed in liquids?

The interaction between tubes and liquids is a common occurrence in many industries and everyday activities. Some examples of real-life applications include:

• In chemistry labs, tubes are often immersed in liquids to mix or react with other substances.
  • In medical settings, tubes are used to deliver fluids or medication into the body.
  • In plumbing, tubes are used to transport liquids such as water or gas through pipes.
  • In cooking, tubes (such as straws or basters) are used to extract liquids from containers or transfer liquids into other vessels.
  • In industrial processes, tubes are used to transport liquids for various purposes, such as cooling, cleaning, or lubrication.

What are the safety considerations when immersing a tube in a liquid?

When immersing a tube in a liquid, it is important to keep safety in mind. Some potential hazards to consider include:

• Hot liquids can cause burns, so it is important to handle them with caution and use appropriate protective gear.
  • Some liquids may be corrosive or toxic, so proper handling and disposal protocols should be followed.
  • If the tube is under pressure, it may burst or release gas when immersed, so appropriate precautions should be taken.
  • Make sure the tube is securely attached or supported to prevent it from falling or tipping over.
  • If using electrical equipment near the tube and liquid, make sure to follow safety guidelines to avoid electric shock.