What happens when matter pops into and out of existence at Planck length scales?

In summary, the universe began with a very small singularity, which is theorized to be a place where the math of our theories gives a result that is not physically possible and so that we don't have to keep saying that all the time, we're going to give it a name ("singularity") and just say that. Matter spontaneously popped into and out of existence at this singularity, and according to some theories this could eventually lead to the current observable universe being destroyed.
djamie
All - my first post, and as a lay person interested in quantum physics, forgive me if my questions are naive or ill-informed.
Is it possible that the Universe inflated then exploded into being from a singularity smaller than Planck length?
If I understand the concepts properly, the Planck length is so small that matter spontaneously pops into and out of existence (i.e. quantum foam) and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle applies when trying to observe anything.
What I'm wondering is if that means, over the incredibly vast scales of Cosmological time, that anywhere in the observable universe as matter pops into and out of existence at Planck length scales, if one piece of matter could eventually go rogue, inflate and obliterate the current observable universe, starting the cycle all over again?
Am I understanding things correctly - or hopelessly confused?
The idea occurred to me while I was watching bubbles of dishwash foam in the sink as I was washing the dishes.
Maybe I need to get a dishwasher...

Space news on Phys.org
What you are missing is that the universe did NOT start at a single point in space. The extent of the universe is not known (it may be infinite in which case it has always been infinite, or it may be finite but unbounded) but it was never a single point.

The term "singularity" in the context of the big bang does not mean "point" it means "a place where the math of our theories gives a result that is not physically possible and so that we don't have to keep saying that all the time, we're going to give it a name ("singularity") and just say that."

Hmmm - a fundamental misunderstanding on my part clearly.
So when physicists talk about inflation, do they mean the universe simultaneously inflating at all points, everywhere?

djamie said:
So when physicists talk about inflation, do they mean the universe simultaneously inflating at all points, everywhere?

Exactly so. "Inflation" is still not considered a fact, just very likely as it explains more than any other theory. Further discussion of all this in the link in my signature.

djamie said:

I think that's a good way to put it! That does describe on very common picture of inflation.

There are variants, in some scenarios inflation starts at different times in different regions. So it is more chaotic in its starting and stopping.

But what you said is a good description of inflation say in our locale, as affects us and all the stuff we can see. That's the simplest.

Right. So in effect, we have a very hot, ultra-dense soup which suddenly coalesces into cosmic scale matter everywhere? (or on different time scales according to different theories) rather than a big explosion per se (the expression big bang would appear to be a little misleading).

djamie said:
Right. So in effect, we have a very hot, ultra-dense soup which suddenly coalesces into cosmic scale matter everywhere? (or on different time scales according to different theories) rather than a big explosion per se (the expression big bang would appear to be a little misleading).

"Bang" is way more than a "little" misleading because it so often makes people think of an explosion in space which is by definition something that happens at a point in space. "Big Bang" was coined by Fred Hoyle who preferred a steady state model. It has been widely "quoted" that he meant this as a derisive term but he denied that.

Yes, the plasma of the early universe coalesced into atoms and things about 400,000 years after the singularity and the time of this happening is called the "surface of last scattering" and shows up as the Cosmic Microwave Background.

phinds said:
Exactly so. "Inflation" is still not considered a fact, just very likely as it explains more than any other theory. Further discussion of all this in the link in my signature.

I agree. There is no one dominant version of inflation. There are different ideas about what might have started it, how it worked, and how it came to stop. And it is still not considered a fact (as Phinds pointed out).

Phinds I didn't see your reply as I was writing, didn't realize you had already responded. Basically just repeating your main points.

Djamie it sounds like what you are asking about is the type of research called quantum cosmology---QC is theorizing about the very early universe and how quantum effects (you mentioned Heisenberg uncertainty principle HUP) may have been involved, and may have played some part in the start of expansion. HUP is the basic reason theorists speculate that a collapsing phase of the universe would BOUNCE (and avoid the unphysical condition of infinite density). Intuitively speaking matter and geometry resist being "pinned down"

At the current time if you look at prevailing QC research you see somewhat of a change compared with 10 or 20 years ago, the models studied in at least half the papers now have the expansion of our universe begin as a rebound from a prior contracting phase.
Searching with the Stanford "Inspire" research data base shows the changing research emphasis. Here are the QC papers that appeared since 2009.

"quantum cosmology" since 2009, Inspire search:
http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...search=Search&sf=&so=d&rm=citation&rg=25&sc=0 (720 found as of 26 August 2014)

"quantum cosmology" and not "loop" since 2009, Inspire search:
http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...search=Search&sf=&so=d&rm=citation&rg=25&sc=0 (355 as of 26 August)
The loop QC models, among others, always involve a bounce.
So do some of the non-loop, but others of the non-loop have no prior contracting phase and have things start with a quantum fluctuation.

Before year 2000 the idea of starting with a quantum fluctuation was more popular. There was little or no Loop QC (it is a fairly recent development) and quantum bounce cosmology was less common in research.
"quantum cosmology" 1995-1999, Inspire search:
http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...search=Search&sf=&so=d&rm=citation&rg=25&sc=0 (395 found as of 26 August 2014)

"quantum cosmology" and not "loop" 1995-1999, Inspire search:
http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...search=Search&sf=&so=d&rm=citation&rg=25&sc=0 (368 as of 26 August 2014)

Fascinating - thank you for your help.
Some reading for me to do - and I may be back with some further questions.

marcus said:
Phinds I didn't see your reply as I was writing, didn't realize you had already responded. Basically just repeating your main points.

Marcus, I'm always happy to see your responses as they are always more extensive and informative than my own and I enjoy reading them.

Related to What happens when matter pops into and out of existence at Planck length scales?

What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a single point of infinite density and temperature, known as a singularity, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

What is the Planck length?

The Planck length is the smallest possible length that can exist in the universe, according to current theories. It is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

How does the Big Bang theory relate to the Planck length?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began at a singularity, which was infinitely small and dense. This singularity is thought to have expanded rapidly, reaching the Planck length in a fraction of a second. Therefore, the Planck length is a crucial concept in understanding the early stages of the universe according to the Big Bang theory.

Can the Big Bang be observed from the Planck length?

No, the Planck length is too small to be observed directly. However, scientists can use mathematical models and observations of the universe to make predictions about the early stages of the Big Bang, including what may have happened at the Planck length.

Are there any alternative theories to the Big Bang from the Planck length?

Yes, there are alternative theories to the Big Bang, such as the Steady State theory, the Oscillating Universe theory, and the Multiverse theory. However, the Big Bang from the Planck length is currently the most widely accepted and supported theory by the scientific community, based on evidence and observations.