What happens when an element is heated?

• Thread starter MaterSammichM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of iron on both a human and atomic level when heated. The expansion is due to the separation between atoms increasing, rather than the atoms themselves growing. The heat causes the atoms to emit photons, which is a form of energy. The discussion also touches on the concept of thermal expansion occurring at any temperature, not just when the metal is red hot.
MaterSammichM
Let's say we have a bar of 100% pure iron.
We know that on a 'human' level- that which we can see with the naked eye, Iron (Fe) will "grow" when heated.
But on an atomic level,
Is this due to exansion of the atomic particles,
or due to a growth of the atom itself,
or due to an expansion in the area between the valence shells of the atoms?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
The effect is entirely due to the separation between the atoms increasing.

It is not expansion/growth, it's the energy level of the atoms. They get so excited that they give off photons, much the same way I do when I see a really pretty girl.

Thank you Russ.
Phinds, perhaps you were joking, but yeah, the size of the metal does expand, just like it contracts when cooled sufficiently. As for your other statement, I think pharmaceuticals are available to help.

MaterSammichM said:
Thank you Russ.
Phinds, perhaps you were joking, but yeah, the size of the metal does expand, just like it contracts when cooled sufficiently. As for your other statement, I think pharmaceuticals are available to help.
Sorry, yeah, I was joking. I mean we both give off photons when heated but I didn't know about the expansion. Fortunately we have russ and others here to correct my boneheaded statements. Actually, the kind of pharmaceuticals I prefer just make it worse.

EDIT: I want you to notice that I managed to avoid any jokes about my own expansion under the conditions mentioned.

No problem. One thing though, I don't think that the metal would have to be heated to the point of producing photons (ie Red Hot) in order for thermal expansion to occur.

MaterSammichM said:
No problem. One thing though, I don't think that the metal would have to be heated to the point of producing photons (ie Red Hot) in order for thermal expansion to occur.
It doesn't have to be red hot to emit photons, it will do that anyway. If it is hotter than its surroundings, it will emit more than it receives and if it is cooler than its surroundings it will emit fewer than it receives, but it will emit them in any case (well, maybe not in the case of supercooling it to near zero absolute).

Likes davenn
Much appreciated Phind

Related to What happens when an element is heated?

1. What happens to the physical properties of an element when it is heated?

When an element is heated, its physical properties may change. For example, some elements may expand or contract, change color, or become more reactive.

2. How does heating affect the chemical properties of an element?

Heating an element can cause changes in its chemical properties. This may include changes in its reactivity, melting point, or ability to bond with other elements.

3. Does heating an element always result in a chemical reaction?

No, heating an element does not always result in a chemical reaction. It depends on the specific element and the conditions of the heating. Some elements may undergo a chemical reaction, while others may only experience changes in their physical properties.

4. Can heating an element change its state of matter?

Yes, heating an element can change its state of matter. For example, many elements can change from a solid to a liquid or from a liquid to a gas when heated to a certain temperature.

5. What happens to the atomic structure of an element when it is heated?

Heating an element can cause changes in its atomic structure. This may include changes in the arrangement of its electrons, changes in the number of electrons, or changes in the energy levels of the electrons.