What happens when a gas is compressed faster than the relaxation time?

• Thread starter randomafk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary, the book covers mostly isothermal and adiabatic processes, with adiabatic being so fast that heat cannot escape while isothermal is slow enough for equilibrium to be reached. However, the book mentions that F=PA only applies for quasistatic processes, where the system is close to equilibrium. Adiabatic processes can occur slowly if the system is thermally isolated. Compression at speeds faster than the speed of sound results in a shock wave.
randomafk
I'm currently learning about different types of compressional work. The book I'm using covers mostly just isothermal and adiabatic processes, which make sense. Isothermal being so slow that everything equilibriates while adiabatic is so fast that heat cannot escape.

However, the book briefly mentions that we can only say F=PA if the process is quasistatic, i.e. the gas is compressed faster than the relaxation time (speed > speed of sound). Why would F=PA still not apply in the case of a "non-quasistatic" process? Wouldn't it just be a differential process ? I.e. there'd be a pressure gradient of some sort. Or is there something I'm missing?

And how can a process be adiabatic but also quasistatic?

Moreover, what happens when something is compressed at speeds faster than the speed of sound? How does the medium behave?

Physics news on Phys.org
randomafk said:
I'm currently learning about different types of compressional work. The book I'm using covers mostly just isothermal and adiabatic processes, which make sense. Isothermal being so slow that everything equilibriates while adiabatic is so fast that heat cannot escape.
Adiabatic processes can be slow. Adiabatic simply means no heat flow occurs between the system and surroundings. Slow adiabatic processes can occur, for example, if the system is thermally isolated.

However, the book briefly mentions that we can only say F=PA if the process is quasistatic, i.e. the gas is compressed faster than the relaxation time (speed > speed of sound). Why would F=PA still not apply in the case of a "non-quasistatic" process? Wouldn't it just be a differential process ? I.e. there'd be a pressure gradient of some sort. Or is there something I'm missing?
Quasi-static does not mean that the gas is compressed faster than the relaxation time. "Quasi-static" means that the process occurs at conditions arbitrarily close to equilibrium.

And how can a process be adiabatic but also quasistatic?
The process has to occur slowly and without heat flow. In the real world (eg in an engine) this is hard to do. One would need very good insulation.

Moreover, what happens when something is compressed at speeds faster than the speed of sound? How does the medium behave?
If something is compressed faster than the speed of sound you get a shock wave.

AM

randomafk said:
However, the book briefly mentions that we can only say F=PA if the process is quasistatic, i.e. the gas is compressed faster than the relaxation time (speed > speed of sound). Why would F=PA still not apply in the case of a "non-quasistatic" process? Wouldn't it just be a differential process ?

E.g. second viscosity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulk_viscosity

Related to What happens when a gas is compressed faster than the relaxation time?

1. What is non-quasistatic compression?

Non-quasistatic compression is a type of compression that occurs at a rate that is not slow enough to allow for the system to reach equilibrium at each step. This means that the compression is not happening at a constant and slow enough rate for the system to adjust to the changes.

2. How is non-quasistatic compression different from quasistatic compression?

The main difference between non-quasistatic compression and quasistatic compression is the speed at which the compression occurs. Quasistatic compression happens at a slow and constant rate, allowing the system to reach equilibrium at each step. Non-quasistatic compression occurs at a faster rate, not allowing the system to reach equilibrium at each step.

3. What are the effects of non-quasistatic compression on a material?

Non-quasistatic compression can cause a material to undergo plastic deformation, which means it will permanently change shape or size. This can also result in a change in the material's properties, such as its strength or stiffness. Non-quasistatic compression can also generate heat, which may lead to thermal expansion or other changes in the material.

4. Why is non-quasistatic compression important in certain applications?

Non-quasistatic compression is important in applications where a material needs to be compressed quickly, such as in manufacturing processes or in high-speed impact situations. It is also important in understanding the behavior of materials under dynamic loading conditions, which can occur in earthquakes or other natural disasters.

5. What are some ways to control non-quasistatic compression?

One way to control non-quasistatic compression is by using a slower compression rate, which allows the system to reach equilibrium at each step. Another way is by using materials that are more resistant to plastic deformation, such as metals with high strength and ductility. Additionally, adding lubricants or other substances can help reduce friction and heat generation during non-quasistatic compression.