What Happens When a Compass is Surrounded by North Poles?

In summary, the compass would not spin if surrounded by only north poles. This is because the magnetic fields would cancel each other out and the compass would not be compelled to move. However, if the compass were surrounded by an infinite amount of north poles, it would not move at all. The magnets used to surround the compass would not lose their strength over time, as permanent magnets are designed to maintain their magnetic domains without external forces. Therefore, there is no configuration of permanent magnets that would result in spinning.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

What happens if you took a compass and surrounded it completely with north poles (and no south poles)? Would the compass just spin repeatedly because it doesn't know what to point to?

Also, the compass can't spin forever; so I'm guessing it will stop because the magnets can't last forever. Why can't they last forever? Is it because the electrons lose energy?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it would spin at all.

So if it doesn't spin what would happen? For instance, if you took an ordinary compass and placed 8 evenly spaced magnets with their north poles all facing the compass and very close it, and assuming all magnetic fields are identical in strength, where would it point?

I think it would point in the direction you placed it in.

Of course if you had 8 north poles surrounding it I assume it would point to the nearest space in between the north poles. But if you could surround it by a 'infinite' amount of N poles such that the filed was completely symmetric, the compass wouldn't be compelled to move at all.

I also think the compass wouldn't spin. The north pole of a magnet is attracting one end of the compass, and the other side would be repelled by the north pole. So they even out.

But I am not sure on the demagnetizing. I know that most magnets are demagnetized by external forces and so forth, but I wouldn't know what would happen without those.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Also, the compass can't spin forever; so I'm guessing it will stop because the magnets can't last forever. Why can't they last forever? Is it because the electrons lose energy?

The electrons in the atoms don't lose energy. A magnet will be demagnetized only when the "magnetic domains" become misaligned. In other words, what makes a magnet "permanent", (i.e., not an electromagnet) is when the material can support the long term alignment of the magnetic domains without the application of an external electromagnetic field.

Magnetic domains were discovered by physicist Francis Bitter. You can google them and him for more information.

Back in the day the only known material for mass producing permanent magnets was hardened steel. This was pretty good, but would lose magnetic strength over time, or under various stresses. In the past few decades they have engineered really super magnetic materials that just about nothing in any normal environment will demagnetize. You don't have to worry about your refrigerator magnets, or the magnets in your audio speakers losing any strength in your lifetime.

Regardless, there is no configuration of permanent magnets that will result in anything spinning. It's been tried by about 400,000 tinkerers since the discovery of lodestone, and none found a way to do it. Once you understand that to get something spinning you need a changing force you can see it can't be done with permanent magnets: their field is not changing, but static. You can get spinning with electromagnets because you can, and motors do, constantly change the strength or direction of the magnetic fields.

Just thought I'd point out that you can do this experiment very easily for very minimal cost. I'm sure you already realized this, but I'd like to encourage you to do that. You will find it very rewarding.

Related to What Happens When a Compass is Surrounded by North Poles?

1. What is a compass?

A compass is a navigational tool that uses Earth's magnetic field to determine direction. It typically consists of a magnetized needle or dial that aligns with the North and South poles.

2. What happens when a compass is surrounded by North poles?

When a compass is surrounded by North poles, the needle or dial will spin rapidly and become unstable. This is because the magnetic fields of the North poles are stronger and cancel out the Earth's magnetic field, which the compass relies on for accurate direction.

3. Is it possible to have a compass surrounded by North poles?

No, it is not possible to have a compass surrounded by North poles. The Earth's magnetic field is the only source of North poles in our environment and they are evenly distributed around the planet. In order to have multiple North poles surrounding a compass, they would have to be artificially created magnets.

4. Will a compass still work if it is surrounded by North poles?

No, a compass will not work if it is surrounded by North poles. As mentioned before, the strong magnetic fields of the North poles will cancel out the Earth's magnetic field and make the compass unstable. This is why it is important to keep magnets away from a compass when using it for navigation.

5. What are the potential consequences of using a compass surrounded by North poles?

The potential consequences of using a compass surrounded by North poles include getting lost or going in the wrong direction. The compass will not be able to accurately determine direction, which can be dangerous if relying on it for navigation in outdoor activities or transportation.