What happens to uncertainty when I divide values by a constant and squ

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of cross-sectional area of wires using the values obtained from a micrometer screw gauge. The uncertainty of +/- 0.01mm is halved when the values are divided by two to calculate the radius. When squaring the values to calculate the area using the equation for the area of a circle, the uncertainty is doubled. This is due to the propagation of independent uncertainties, where the uncertainty is added quadratically for addition and subtraction, and relative errors are added quadratically for multiplication and division. In this case, the relative error for the radius is doubled when squared, resulting in a larger uncertainty.
Akbar123
The values below are different wire thicknesses measured with a micrometer screw gauge. The uncertainty of it is +/- 0.01mm.

Diameter/thickness of wire/mm

I need to halve (or divide by two) these values to calculate radius and hence calculate cross sectional area of the wires. What happens to the uncertainty of +/- 0.01mm.

In addition what happens to the uncertainty of the radius when I square these values using the equation area of circle = πr2 ?

This is for a physics investigation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculate cross section with ## a = {\pi\over 4} d^2##.
Propagation of independent uncertainties works as follows:
$$\bigl ( \Delta f(x_1, x_2, x_3 ... x_N) \bigr )^2 = \Sigma_{i=1}^N \ ({\partial f \over \partial x_i})^2 (\Delta x_i)^2$$
Examples:
##f = a\,x \quad \Rightarrow \quad \Delta f = |a|\,\Delta x \quad ## or: ## \quad {\Delta f \over f} = |a|\,{\Delta x\over x} ##
##f = x_1 + x_2 \quad \Rightarrow \quad (\Delta f)^2 = (\Delta x_1)^2 + (\Delta x_2)^2##
##f = x_1 \times x_2 \quad \Rightarrow \quad (\Delta f)^2 = x_2^2 (\Delta x_1)^2 + x_1^2(\Delta x_2)^2 \quad \Rightarrow \quad ({\Delta f\over f})^2 = ({\Delta x_1 \over x_1})^2 + ({\Delta x_2 \over x_2})^2 ##
but ##f = x_1^2 \quad \Rightarrow \quad (\Delta f)^2 = 4 x_1^2 (\Delta x_1)^2 \quad \Rightarrow \quad ({\Delta f\over f}) = 2 ({\Delta x_1 \over x_1}) ##

In short:
addition and subtraction: add absolute errors quadratically
multiplication and division: add relative errors quadratically
squares: double relative error, square root: halve relative error

In your case ##{\Delta a \over a }= 2 {\Delta d \over d}##

You would also divide the uncertainty (or error) by 2. If you make the measurement smaller, you also make the associated uncertainty with that measurement smaller, in this case x2 smaller. Squaring the r value will result in the uncertainty being doubled. So your ## r^2 ## will actually just be +/- 0.01 mm uncertainty. If it was the diameter squared, the uncertainty would be doubled, so +/- 0.02 mm .

patrickmoloney said:
Squaring the r value will result in the uncertainty being doubled
Demonstrably incorrect: ##(10 \pm 1)^2 = 100 \pm 20 \quad ##(*) and not ## 100 \pm 2##

What he means is that the relative error is doubled.

(*) here you see the effect of taking only the first derivative and ignoring the higher orders. It's a small effect, given that this shows up marginally (namely 1%) even at a 10% relative error.

When you divide a value by a constant, the uncertainty remains the same. In this case, dividing by two will not change the uncertainty of +/- 0.01mm. This is because uncertainty is a measure of the potential error in a measurement, and dividing by a constant does not change the precision or accuracy of the measurement.

However, when you square the values to calculate the cross-sectional area of the wires, the uncertainty of the radius will also be squared. This is because the uncertainty in a calculation is determined by the uncertainty in the individual measurements used in the calculation. In this case, the uncertainty in the radius is determined by the uncertainty in the wire thickness measurements.

Therefore, squaring the values will result in a larger uncertainty in the calculated cross-sectional area compared to the individual wire thickness measurements. It is important to keep this in mind when analyzing and interpreting your results, as the larger uncertainty in the calculated values may affect the overall accuracy and reliability of your findings.

In summary, dividing values by a constant will not change the uncertainty, but squaring the values in a calculation will result in a larger uncertainty. It is important to carefully consider and account for uncertainty in any scientific investigation to ensure the accuracy and reliability of your results.

Related to What happens to uncertainty when I divide values by a constant and squ

1. What is uncertainty and why is it important?

Answer: Uncertainty refers to the lack of exact knowledge about a particular value or measurement. It is important because it helps us understand the potential errors or variations in our data and allows us to make informed decisions based on the level of confidence we have in our results.

2. How does dividing values by a constant affect uncertainty?

Answer: Dividing values by a constant does not affect the uncertainty itself, but it does change the units of measurement. This means that the numerical value of the uncertainty will also change, but the relative uncertainty (expressed as a percentage or in scientific notation) will remain the same.

3. What happens to uncertainty when I divide by a constant smaller than 1?

Answer: When dividing by a constant smaller than 1, the numerical value of the uncertainty will increase, but the relative uncertainty will decrease. This is because dividing by a smaller number will result in a larger value, making the uncertainty more significant in relation to the overall value.

4. How does uncertainty change when I square a value?

Answer: Squaring a value does not change the uncertainty itself, but it does change the units of measurement. This means that the numerical value of the uncertainty will also be squared, but the relative uncertainty will remain the same.

5. Does squaring a value affect the precision of the uncertainty?

Answer: No, squaring a value does not affect the precision of the uncertainty. The precision of the uncertainty is determined by the number of significant figures in the measurement itself, not by the mathematical operations performed on it.