What happens to the shape of an accelerating mass

In summary: Everything is measured from some observer's point of view. There isn't a "chosen" observer who's measurements are called "reality".
brupenney
Hi:

When a mass is accelerated, what happens to its length and volume? I know that when the acceleration ends, its length is governed by the equation l = l0 x sqrt (1 - v^2/C^2), but what about during the acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Time dilation and length contraction only depend on velocity, not acceleration. Some people call this the "clock postulate" for time dilation.

The "shape" at any instant during acceleration is given by the velocity of the object at that instant.

Thanks guys. Taking the case of a neutron moving with velocity v, would its radius in the direction of v shorten while its radius perpendicular to v increases? It seems if this is so, then the neutron would assume an ellipsoid shape, more specifically an oblate spheroid shape, until it would become a disk at some point. Is this correct?

brupenney said:
Thanks guys. Taking the case of a neutron moving with velocity v, would its radius in the direction of v shorten while its radius perpendicular to v increases? It seems if this is so, then the neutron would assume an ellipsoid shape, more specifically an oblate spheroid shape, until it would become a disk at some point. Is this correct?

The radius perpendicular to the direction of motion is unchanged.

Yes, such appearance as a disk has been dubbed a 'pancake', and, I believe Richard Feynman was the first to describe that the collision data for energetic electrons and nucleons could be explained on the assumption that the nucleon appeared as a pancake to the electron. This modelling assumption was part of his famous parton research which explained key behavior of the quark model of nucleons. Without modelling the nucleon as a pancake, the collision data could not be explained.

Last edited:
bcrowell said:
The radius perpendicular to the direction of motion is unchanged.

Thanks Ben. How then does the mass increase without the perpendicular radius increasing? I am assuming the neutron is the most dense unit of mass possible.

PAllen said:
Yes, such appearance as a disk has been dubbed a 'pancake', and, I believe Richard Feynman was the first to describe that the collision data for energetic electrons and nucleons could be explained on the assumption that the nucleon appeared as a pancake to the electron. This modelling assumption was part of his famous parton research which explained key behavior of the quark model of nucleons. Without modelling the nucleon as a pancake, the collision data could not be explained.

That is extremely interesting to me, but I am not surprised by it. My own thoughts have led me to this conclusion (that of pancaking mass) which would max out at C

brupenney said:
Thanks Ben. How then does the mass increase without the perpendicular radius increasing?
Most physicists these days don't use the relativistic mass convention that you're using, but anyway, the density of mass-energy is higher as seen in the frame where the neutron is moving.

brupenney said:
I am assuming the neutron is the most dense unit of mass possible.
No, that's not true.

Hi Ben. Tks for replying. Is the mass expansion and length contraction real then. I thought it was, from the observer's viewpoint. And what is more dense than a neutron?

brupenney said:
Hi Ben. Tks for replying. Is the mass expansion and length contraction real then. I thought it was, from the observer's viewpoint. And what is more dense than a neutron?

"from an observer's point of view" does not mean "not real". Everything is measured from some observer's point of view. There isn't a "chosen" observer who's measurements are called "reality".

A quark is more dense than a neutron. There is no limit to the density observed for a moving body, as it approaches ever close to c relative to the observer. However, this does not mean a black hole might be created:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/black_fast.html

Related to What happens to the shape of an accelerating mass

1. How does acceleration affect the shape of a mass?

Acceleration causes a change in the velocity of a mass, which can result in a change in its shape. This is because the force of acceleration can cause the mass to stretch or compress, depending on the direction of the force.

2. Does the shape of a mass change during constant acceleration?

Yes, the shape of a mass can change during constant acceleration. This is because even though the velocity may be changing at a constant rate, the force of acceleration can still cause the mass to stretch or compress.

3. What happens to the shape of a mass when it accelerates in a circular motion?

When a mass accelerates in a circular motion, it experiences a centripetal force that pulls it towards the center of the circle. This force can cause the mass to deform into a circular shape, depending on the strength of the force and the elasticity of the mass.

4. Can the shape of a mass remain constant while it accelerates?

In theory, it is possible for the shape of a mass to remain constant while it accelerates. This would require the force of acceleration to be evenly distributed throughout the mass, so that no part of it experiences a greater force than any other part. However, in most cases, some level of deformation will occur during acceleration.

5. How does the shape of a mass change as it accelerates towards the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and its length contracts. This means that the shape of the mass can also change, becoming more elongated in the direction of motion. However, this effect is only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light and is not significant at everyday speeds.