What happens to the inequality sign when taking the square of an equation?

In summary, when taking the square of the left hand side to the right hand side, the inequality sign switches.
TyErd
Alright let's just say (x-2)^2>12, find x

can someone tell me what happens to the inequality sign when you take the square of the left hand side to the right hands side? does it swap?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's think about a simpler problem instead. The way you are approaching this, you will almost certainly get the wrong answer or miss half of them

Let's try a2 > 4. What is the solution set for this inequality?

-2<a<2

so with these types of questions you need to draw the graph first?

no I am wrong its a<-2 and a>2

TyErd said:
no I am wrong its a<-2 and a>2
You're almost spot on: It's a < - 2 OR a > 2.

The idea is that if a2 > 4, then a is larger than 2 or a is more negative than -2. In symbols this is a > 2 or a < - 2.

Now for the problem you asked...
(x - 2)2 > 12
then x - 2 > ? or x - 2 < ??
If you get these right, all that remains is to add + 2 to both sides of each inequality.

x-2>sqrt12 OR x-2<-sqrt12

thus x>sqrt12+2 OR x<-sqrt12+2??

Right. Another way to write the solution is x > 2 + 2sqrt(3) or x < 2 - 2sqrt(3). Both ways are correct, though.

Now if my problem had been a2 < 9, then a has to be smaller than 3 (but not too small -- i.e., not too negative) AND a has to be larger than -3 (but not too large).

So a < 3 and a > - 3. This means that a is any number between -3 and + 3. This is usually written as a continued inequality, with the smallest number on the left and the largest on the right: -3 < a < 3.

You could write this as 3 > a > -3, and it means the same thing, but this is not used as much.

okay thankyou heaps. This happened to be part of my final year exam practice paper. I would have been screwed if I hadnt known this. Thanks!

Related to What happens to the inequality sign when taking the square of an equation?

1. What is a square?

A square is a geometric shape with four equal sides and four right angles. It is a type of rectangle with all sides of equal length.

2. How do you find the area of a square?

The area of a square can be found by multiplying the length of one side by itself. So, if a square has a side length of 4 units, its area would be 4 x 4 = 16 square units.

3. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities or expressions using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one value is less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to another value.

4. How do you solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you must isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Just like equations, you can add, subtract, multiply, or divide both sides of the inequality by the same number. However, if you multiply or divide by a negative number, you must flip the inequality sign.

5. How are squares and inequalities related?

Inequalities can be represented on a number line, and squares can be used to represent the solutions to inequalities on a number line. For example, the inequality x > 3 could be represented by shading in all the numbers greater than 3 on a number line, which would form a square shape.