What happens to the final image of a person falling into a black hole?

• B
  • Thread starter jBase
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the motions of a person approaching the event horizon of a black hole will appear to slow down and eventually come to a complete stop, creating a 'frozen' image that remains at the horizon. This is due to the stretching of spacetime outside the horizon, which slows down the frame rate of the observer's perspective. However, this frozen image eventually fades away as it is redshifted by the black hole. The source of the image is redshifted lightwaves from the past, similar to how we see stars in the night sky. The final detectable thing from an object falling into a black hole would be a long wave radio emission.
jBase
Apparently, when viewed from a distance, the motions of a person approaching the event horizon of a black hole will appear to first slow down and then come to a complete stop as they pass through the horizon. Then, as I'm led to believe by what I've seen and read, that final 'frozen' image of the person remains forevermore, motionless and stuck at/on the horizon.

The 'slowing down' phase makes sense if I think about the observed motion of the person's fall as being divided into consecutive instants of time (or information) and each instant being recorded on the individual frames of a film strip. Without the black hole, the movie camera projects the film strip at a frame rate such that any motion appears fluid and 'normal', but with the black hole present, the stretching out of spacetime outside the horizon is equivalent to slowing down the frame rate, thus giving the appearance of slow-motion. Eventually, at the horizon, the camera stops at the final frame, and all motion has ceased.

What I don't get is how that final frozen image remains visible to observers long after the person has actually gone through the event horizon boundary! What is the source of that continuous image if nothing is there anymore? Wouldn't this make the black hole some kind of photo album or montage displaying a snapshot of everything that has ever fallen into it? Surely that would make the invisible black hole visible.

I'm quite sure I've misunderstood this concept, or the film strip analogy is flawed (probably both), so I'd appreciate any info or guidance on how to visualise this process without invoking any maths.

One further question: Using the same film strip analogy, would the observed fall into the black hole transition from smooth, fluid motion into jumpy, discrete steps of motion as the stretching of spacetime at the atomic scale decompresses the atomic-fluctuation information (in terms of photons) and makes it observable on our macroscopic scale? I guess this comes down to a question on the photon emission process.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jBase said:
What I don't get is how that final frozen image remains visible to observers long after the person has actually gone through the event horizon boundary! What is the source of that continuous image if nothing is there anymore?

Hi. Welcome to PF. The image doesn't remain visible forever. It fades away until you can no longer see it. The source of the image are redshifted lightwaves that are just reaching your eyes.

jBase said:
What is the source of that continuous image if nothing is there anymore?
The source of an image is never "what is there" it is always "what was there". You are always looking looking at light from events on your past light cone. Many of the stars you see at night you still see even though nothing is there anymore.

The black hole just redshifts the light infinitely.

Last edited:
I guess that the last detectable thing which could be observed of an object falling into a black hole would be a long wave radio emission.

Ok, that's a little clearer...Thanks for your replies.

Related to What happens to the final image of a person falling into a black hole?

1. What is an event horizon?

An event horizon is a boundary in space around a black hole, beyond which no light or matter can escape due to the immense gravitational pull of the black hole.

2. How is an event horizon frozen image created?

An event horizon frozen image is created when light from objects near the event horizon is distorted and "frozen" in place due to the intense gravitational effects of the black hole.

3. What can we learn from studying event horizon frozen images?

Studying event horizon frozen images can provide valuable insights into the physics of black holes and their effects on surrounding matter and light. It can also help us better understand the behavior of gravity in extreme environments.

4. Can we see beyond an event horizon?

No, we cannot see beyond an event horizon. The event horizon marks the point of no return for anything that enters it, including light. Therefore, we cannot see or gather any information from beyond the event horizon.

5. Are event horizon frozen images important for scientific research?

Yes, event horizon frozen images are crucial for scientific research as they provide direct evidence of the existence and properties of black holes. They also allow us to test and refine our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics in extreme environments.