What Happens to the Charge on a Grounded Sphere Near a Charged Rod?

In summary, when a negatively charged rod is brought near a suspended metal sphere, it induces negative charges on the far side of the sphere and positive charges on the near side. By grounding the sphere, the negative charges are able to leave the sphere, resulting in a neutral charge. This is because the electrons on the sphere are attracted to the positive charges on the rod and want to be as far away from it as possible. Therefore, when the rod and finger are removed, the sphere will have a neutral charge.
Coldie
A negatively charged rod is brought near a suspended metal sphere. The sphere is 'grounded' by touching it with a finger. The finger and the rod are now removed. What charge will be on the sphere, positive or negative? Explain what happens.

Initially I thought that the finger would remove any induced charge that the sphere took on from the rod, but now I'm questioning that position. Can someone explain to me whether I'm wrong, and if so, how things really work?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you bring the rod close to the sphere, you induce negative charges on the far side of the sphere and positive charges on the near side. Basically, the electrons on the sphere want to be as far away from the rod as possible. By grounding the sphere you provide a path for these electrons (negative charges) to leave the sphere and this is exactly what they wanted. So the negative charges leave the sphere, making it ...

I see. So if the rod and the finger were both on the same side and then removed, then the change in charge of the sphere would ideally be zero?

Related to What Happens to the Charge on a Grounded Sphere Near a Charged Rod?

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity includes the direction of motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity while speed is a scalar quantity.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. Both kinetic and potential energy are forms of mechanical energy.

What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the acceleration will be, and the heavier the object, the less it will accelerate.