What happens to the capacitance after increasing distance?

In summary: It increases by a factor of 2.In summary, when the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor are pulled apart to twice their original separation after being charged by a battery, the capacitance halves while the potential difference doubles. This results in an overall increase in the stored energy by a factor of 2.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

A battery is used to charge a parallel-plate capacitor, after which it is disconnected. Then the plates are pulled apart to twice their original separation. This process will double the:

A. capacitance
B. surface charge density on each plate
C. stored energy
D. electric field between the two places
E. charge on each plate

Homework Equations

## C = \frac{\epsilon_0 A}{d} ##

## C = \frac{Q}{V} ##

## U = \frac{1}{2}CV^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is C but am confused on how to get there.

After we charge the capacitor and then disconnect it, the charge is fixed. I set these two expressions equal:

## \frac{\epsilon_0 A}{d} = \frac{Q}{V} ##

And I thought that if the separation doubles that the potential difference across the plates must also double. And then plugging into ## \frac{1}{2}CV^2 ##, the energy would increase by 4 times.

Without the equations, it does make sense that if we do work to double the separation that that energy we did will go into the stored energy of the field. But I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with the equations.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's true that V doubles but C, ( Q/V ) halves.

Since C = ∈A/d = Q/V, increasing d to 2d decreases C to C/2 and increases V to 2V since by the conservation of charge Q = con., So what happens to the energy, CV^2/2?

Likes berkeman

Related to What happens to the capacitance after increasing distance?

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to distance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electric charge. It is directly proportional to the distance between two conductive surfaces, with larger distances resulting in decreased capacitance.

2. Why does increasing distance decrease capacitance?

As the distance between two conductive surfaces increases, the electric field between them weakens. This leads to a decrease in the amount of charge that can be stored on the surfaces, resulting in a decrease in capacitance.

3. How does the shape of the conductive surfaces affect capacitance?

The shape of the conductive surfaces does not have a direct effect on capacitance. However, it can indirectly impact capacitance by altering the distance between the surfaces, as well as the distribution of charge on the surfaces.

4. Is there a maximum distance at which capacitance becomes zero?

No, there is no maximum distance at which capacitance becomes zero. However, as distance increases, the capacitance approaches zero and becomes negligible.

5. How does the dielectric material between conductive surfaces affect capacitance?

The dielectric material between conductive surfaces can increase capacitance by reducing the strength of the electric field between the surfaces. This allows for a greater amount of charge to be stored on the surfaces.