What happens to energy of the stars?

In summary: Photons, or electromagnetic waves if you prefer, just keep on going forever unless they happen to interact with some matter which absorbs them.Stars also release energy in other forms such as neutrinos and those don't interact very much at all.... what really happened to all that burned/spent energy since the beginning of time Well, among other things, a tiny amount of it has caused a lot of sunburns :smile:"viola"? What does a musical instrument have to do with this?A musical instrument like a guitar or violin emits sound waves that vibrate the air molecules. When these waves reach our ears, they cause us to hear the sound. The waves are also moving energy particles in
Whitefire
Several days ago I started thinking about the mystery of dark matter (yup, it was after LIGO discovery, and we all do it from time to time, right?). Then I came up with a strange conclusion that within our galaxy, there should be an equivalent of about 24 000 stars that we just cannot see--in form of energy (light, heat).

Okay, just bear with me, please.

I assumed that our Sun burns about 1.5 mass of the Earth in 100 000 years (http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_sun.html#consume)

I assumed 500 billion stars in Milky Way, all, on average, burning the same amount of energy (huuge approximation, I'm aware).

I also assumed, that even if all this energy was changed into light, in 100 000 years it wouldn't have the time to really leave the galaxy (which is also wrong, and by a lot, but it is also hard to define what it means to "leave" the galaxy so I let it be).

Well, I then did some calculations and viola, 24000 sun masses are there. Here. What a nice additional source of gravity (I understand that photons can, in themselves, be a source of gravity).

Now it is nowhere near the mass necessary to explain dark matter, but it made me wonder:

Are my assumptions even conceptually correct?

And, given that stars shine, and burn, and explode, an do whatever else it is they do, and yet the total energy should be preserved, what really happened to all that burned/spent energy since the beginning of time (or, say, last 13 billion years?) It should be still out there, right? As WHAT?

Thanks for answers.

Space news on Phys.org
24000 solar masses extra in the galaxy is essentially nothing in comparison to the matter density required to explain the dark matter observations.

Whitefire said:
And, given that stars shine, and burn, and explode, an do whatever else it is they do, and yet the total energy should be preserved, what really happened to all that burned/spent energy since the beginning of time (or, say, last 13 billion years?) It should be still out there, right? As WHAT?
Photons, or electromagnetic waves if you prefer, just keep on going forever unless they happen to interact with some matter which absorbs them.
Stars also release energy in other forms such as neutrinos and those don't interact very much at all.

Whitefire said:
... what really happened to all that burned/spent energy since the beginning of time
Well, among other things, a tiny amount of it has caused a lot of sunburns :smile:

"viola"? What does a musical instrument have to do with this?

Whitefire said:
Several days ago I started thinking about the mystery of dark matter (yup, it was after LIGO discovery, and we all do it from time to time, right?). Then I came up with a strange conclusion that within our galaxy, there should be an equivalent of about 24 000 stars that we just cannot see--in form of energy (light, heat).

Okay, just bear with me, please.

I assumed that our Sun burns about 1.5 mass of the Earth in 100 000 years (http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_sun.html#consume)

I assumed 500 billion stars in Milky Way, all, on average, burning the same amount of energy (huuge approximation, I'm aware).
It's not that bad an approximation... It has the right number of digits. That's good enough for many problems, including this one. You conclude that
24000 sun masses are there... Now it is nowhere near the mass necessary to explain dark matter
24,000 against 500 billion is about one part in ten million so your conclusion looks good.

As for where this energy goes? It just spreads out as it moves away from its source, and it keeps on going.

Related to What happens to energy of the stars?

1. What is the source of energy for stars?

The main source of energy for stars is nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms fuse together to form helium, releasing a huge amount of energy in the process.

2. How does the energy of a star change over time?

The energy of a star changes over time as it burns through its fuel, converting hydrogen into helium. As the amount of hydrogen decreases, the energy output decreases and the star's temperature and brightness decrease as well.

3. What happens to the energy when a star dies?

When a star dies, its energy is released in a massive explosion known as a supernova. This explosion can release as much energy as the star produced in its entire lifetime.

4. Can a star run out of energy?

Yes, a star can run out of energy when it runs out of hydrogen to fuse. This typically happens to smaller stars, which eventually cool and become white dwarfs. Larger stars may also run out of fuel and undergo a supernova explosion.

5. How does the energy of a star affect its lifespan?

The amount of energy a star produces determines how long it will live. Higher mass stars have a greater gravitational pull, causing them to burn through their fuel at a faster rate and have shorter lifespans compared to smaller stars. The energy output also determines the star's luminosity and can affect its evolution and eventual fate.