What happens to energy levels when electrons collide with an atom?

In summary, when a stray electron with a kinetic energy of 5*10^-17 collides with an atom that has an electron in the ground state with -4.11*10^ -17 energy, the atom gets ionized and the remaining energy is converted into kinetic energy of the free electron. As for the subsequent behavior of the electrons in higher energy levels, they may drop down to lower energy levels and emit light with discrete frequencies, depending on the specific atom and its energy levels. However, the term "subsequently" is not clear and may be misleading.
Millan
Hi:

a) an atoms electron is in the ground state (4.11*10^ -17). An electron with ke 5*10^-17 collides with the atom, what happens to the energy.

b) What could subsequently happen to the electrons in the higher energy levels

help please

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help ?

You mean the atom's electron is in the ground state, with E = - 4.11E-17 J
Stable situations usually have negative Total Energy ...

What happens if the stray electron collides with the atom's electron?
How much Energy would that "ground state" electron have then?
How far from the atom would it get before it runs out of KE?

Yes energy = - 4.11E-17 J

my mistake lol

I think the answer is that the atom gets ionised and the remaining enegry becomes the KE of the free electron.

but I am confused as to the words 'what happens to the ENERGY' (is it just absorbed by the electron in the ground state and the rest goes to KE)

and part b) i think it is the electrons drop down energy levels emmiting light - photons with discrete frequencies hence discrete wavelengths.

but the questions says 'subsequently' , so I am not sure if its right or is its just there to put you off.

Last edited:

Related to What happens to energy levels when electrons collide with an atom?

What are energy levels?

Energy levels refer to the specific amount of energy that an atom or molecule has. This energy is determined by the arrangement of electrons in the atom or molecule, and it affects the physical and chemical properties of the substance.

How are energy levels related to electron configurations?

Electron configurations determine the energy levels of an atom or molecule. The number and arrangement of electrons in the different energy levels determine the overall energy of the atom or molecule.

Why do energy levels have different values?

Energy levels have different values because the amount of energy an electron has depends on its distance from the nucleus of the atom or molecule. The closer an electron is to the nucleus, the lower its energy level will be.

How do energy levels change during chemical reactions?

During chemical reactions, energy levels may change as electrons are transferred between atoms or molecules. This change in energy levels can result in the formation or breaking of chemical bonds and ultimately determine the outcome of the reaction.

What is the significance of energy levels in everyday life?

Energy levels play a crucial role in everyday life as they determine the properties and behavior of matter. They are responsible for the color, melting point, and reactivity of substances, and are essential in understanding the functioning of various natural and artificial processes and technologies.