What Happens During Molecular Isotope Decay?

In summary: Research has not provided clear answers, but it is believed that decay can cause recoil which can change the properties of the molecule and lead to the formation of completely different substances. This can be predicted to some extent based on the chemical properties of the elements involved. For example, the decay of Na129I may result in metallic sodium and xenon.
k5.user
I understand half-lives, how various atoms decay through the various types of emissions (alpha, beta, gamma, etc).

It's easy to do the math (or read the decay chain) for various things to see what the end-stable result if (eg U-238 and 235 decay to a thorium isotope, eventually to lead).

However, what happens when the decay involves a moluecule ? eg uranium hexa-flouride (UF6), does that become ThF6 when a decay event happens ? Or say NaI with I-129, where the iodine decays into xenon. Surely you don't get NaXe ?

I wonder if an ionic molecule like NaI would be different from a non-ionic like UF6 based on the bonds.

I dug out my old Oxtoby & Nash textbook and it only covers single atom/element decay, and various searches on google and wiki don't answer this side of nuclear decay (though I may be using the wrong terms). Also searched the archives here, but again may be using the wrong terms.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
k5.user said:
However, what happens when the decay involves a moluecule ? eg uranium hexa-flouride (UF6), does that become ThF6 when a decay event happens ?

Decay doesn't "involve a molecule". What decays is always an atom. Note, that recoil can throw nucleus away from the molecule and that in most cases decay products will ionize surrounding atoms. That basically means that final product of the change will be completely different from the initial substance. It can be to some extent predicted using chemical properties of the elements involved - as you have correctly stated there is no compound like NaXe, so after Na129I decay (of the sample large enough, kept isolated from other elements/substances) you will probably end with metallic sodium and xenon.

--
methods

Related to What Happens During Molecular Isotope Decay?

What is a molecular isotope decay?

A molecular isotope decay is a natural process in which an unstable isotope of an element breaks down into a more stable isotope, releasing radiation in the form of gamma rays, alpha particles, or beta particles.

How is molecular isotope decay used in scientific research?

Molecular isotope decay is commonly used in radiometric dating to determine the age of rocks and archaeological artifacts. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans.

What is the half-life of a molecular isotope?

The half-life of a molecular isotope is the amount of time it takes for half of the original sample of the isotope to decay into a more stable form. This time period varies depending on the specific isotope.

What factors can affect the rate of molecular isotope decay?

The rate of molecular isotope decay can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions. It can also be influenced by the structure and stability of the isotope itself.

Are there any potential risks associated with molecular isotope decay?

Molecular isotope decay can be harmful if a person is exposed to high levels of radiation from the decay process. However, this risk can be minimized by proper handling and containment of radioactive materials.