What happens during a collision?

• Thread starter Biker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: Force is not a really useful concept to apply in a collision, except maybe for calculating an impulse, F Δt = m ΔvThe two bodies are going to come together, deform a little bit or a lot, depending on how they are constructed, and part of their total energy will be absorbed causing this deformation. Some energy may remain and be available to allow one or both bodies (or parts of same) to move away from the point of collision; or, this energy could be converted to heat or some other form and dissipated, in which case the two bodies will remain in place at the point of collision.
Biker

Homework Statement

I have a question about this. I will post it once I fully understand my problem with this.

Homework Equations

F *t = dp

The Attempt at a Solution

At the beginning i just want to know how a collision happen. So if two object with different velocities collide with each other (They are moving towards each other. Presume that both of them will move in the same direction after the collision.) So of course one of them will lose momentum and the other will gain momentum in that direction.

So my conflict here, Is how long do the forces exert on these objects? so I thought the objects exert these forces on each other because of their tendency to move in their direction. As a result, when the objects have the same velocity in the same direction, they won't have to exert these forces on each other. But this concept is wrong because that doesn't happen in real life. When two objects collide they don't always have the same velocity. So what actually happens?

Physics news on Phys.org
Biker said:

Homework Statement

I have a question about this. I will post it once I fully understand my problem with this.

Homework Equations

F *t = dp

The Attempt at a Solution

At the beginning i just want to know how a collision happen. So if two object with different velocities collide with each other (They are moving towards each other. Presume that both of them will move in the same direction after the collision.) So of course one of them will lose momentum and the other will gain momentum in that direction.

So my conflict here, Is how long do the forces exert on these objects? so I thought the objects exert these forces on each other because of their tendency to move in their direction. As a result, when the objects have the same velocity in the same direction, they won't have to exert these forces on each other. But this concept is wrong because that doesn't happen in real life. When two objects collide they don't always have the same velocity. So what actually happens?
For the most part, BOOM!

There are two idealized types of collision, the fully elastic and the fully inelastic. In the fully elastic collision, the two objects bounce off one another without transferring any energy or momentum. In the fully inelastic collision, the two objects merge and stick together, combining their momentum and energy.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/elacol.html

Actual collisions fall somewhere in between these two ideal cases.

SteamKing said:
For the most part, BOOM!

There are two idealized types of collision, the fully elastic and the fully inelastic. In the fully elastic collision, the two objects bounce off one another without transferring any energy or momentum. In the fully inelastic collision, the two objects merge and stick together, combining their momentum and energy.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/elacol.html

Actual collisions fall somewhere in between these two ideal cases.
I know that and I have solved a lot of questions and problems about that. But I just want to know what actually happens in a collision. How do the forces work here and for how long? Like what makes the objects exert this force and what keeps them from exerting it for a period of time

Biker said:
I know that and I have solved a lot of questions and problems about that. But I just want to know what actually happens in a collision. How do the forces work here and for how long? Like what makes the objects exert this force and what keeps them from exerting it for a period of time
Force is not a really useful concept to apply in a collision, except maybe for calculating an impulse, F Δt = m Δv

The two bodies are going to come together, deform a little bit or a lot, depending on how they are constructed, and part of their total energy will be absorbed causing this deformation. Some energy may remain and be available to allow one or both bodies (or parts of same) to move away from the point of collision; or, this energy could be converted to heat or some other form and dissipated, in which case the two bodies will remain in place at the point of collision.

The point is, each collision is different because the characteristics of the colliding bodies are different, their velocities may be different, etc.

Likes Biker

Related to What happens during a collision?

1. What causes a collision?

A collision occurs when two objects come into contact with each other with enough force to cause damage. This force can be caused by the objects moving at high speeds or by a change in direction or velocity.

2. What happens to the objects involved in a collision?

During a collision, the objects involved can experience a change in speed and direction. Depending on the force of the collision, they may also deform or break apart.

3. How do collisions affect momentum?

Collisions can affect momentum by either increasing or decreasing it. When two objects collide, they transfer momentum to each other, causing a change in the momentum of each object.

4. Can collisions be prevented?

In some cases, collisions can be prevented by taking precautions such as following traffic laws and maintaining a safe distance between objects. However, in certain situations, collisions may be unavoidable.

5. What are the different types of collisions?

There are two main types of collisions: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other and the total kinetic energy is conserved. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and some kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound.