What gives rise to a magnetic moment in a proton/neutron?

In summary, the concept of magnetic moment refers to the magnetic field generated by a charged particle, and is also an intrinsic property of elementary particles such as protons and neutrons. This property is not limited to particles in motion, as even stationary particles can have an intrinsic magnetic moment.
pbutter

Homework Statement

Describe, with examples, what is meant by magnetic moment. What gives rise to a magnetic moment in a proton/neutron?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what a magnetic moment is, just struggling with the other parts of the question.
So what I'm thinking is that an electron orbiting generates a magnetic moment since it is a charged particle moving in a circle. In the same way the spin of a nucleus generates a magnetic moment since the nucleus is comprised of charged quarks which are spinning when the proton/neutron is spinning. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not correct. Your view of how things work is way too classical. Why do you think an electron has a magnetic moment? (It is a point particle.)

Electron generates a magnetic field when it travels in a circle (I x A)

Also how would a magnetic moment be generated in a neutron/proton, is it just be because of the spin that it has or is it just some inherent property that we have learned to accept but no answer

pbutter said:
Electron generates a magnetic field when it travels in a circle (I x A)
No, even a stationary electron has a magnetic moment.

I think I'm sort of getting it spin is just something that elementary particles have. It is intrinsic to them and anything charged with a spin/angular momentum will have a magnetic moment.

pbutter said:
I think I'm sort of getting it spin is just something that elementary particles have. It is intrinsic to them and anything charged with a spin/angular momentum will have a magnetic moment.
Even uncharged particles can have an intrinsic magnetic moment, but yes, it is a property of the elementary particle. Just as elementary particles have mass or charge, they in general have an intrinsic angular momentum and magnetic moment.

The question was about a proton or neutron, not electron.

Related to What gives rise to a magnetic moment in a proton/neutron?

1. What is a magnetic moment in a proton/neutron?

A magnetic moment in a proton or neutron is the measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field it produces.

2. What gives rise to a magnetic moment in a proton/neutron?

The magnetic moment in a proton or neutron is due to its intrinsic spin, which is a property of subatomic particles. It also has a charge, which creates a magnetic field when it spins.

3. How is the magnetic moment of a proton/neutron measured?

The magnetic moment of a proton/neutron is measured using a technique called nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). This involves placing the particle in a strong external magnetic field and measuring the energy required to flip its spin direction.

4. Can the magnetic moment of a proton/neutron change?

Yes, the magnetic moment of a proton/neutron can change when it interacts with an external magnetic field or other particles. It can also change when the particle is in different energy states.

5. What is the significance of the magnetic moment in a proton/neutron?

The magnetic moment in a proton/neutron is crucial for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. It also plays a role in nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and in nuclear reactions.