What gives atoms the properties of a chemichal?

In summary, atoms are classified by element and their properties are determined by the organization of electrons in the atom, which is influenced by the charge of the nucleus. This is why different substances, such as water and air, have different properties due to the different combinations of atoms they are composed of.
silenzer
Firstly be easy on me, I'm 17 and still in high school and English is not my first language so go easy on the heavy vocabulary.

I was wondering the other day, what is it that gives atoms its properties? If air would be densed to as thick as water, would it have the same properties? I don't think so, but why not?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
First a little terminology:

Atoms are classified by element. The organization of electrons in the atoms gives each element its properties.

Water is a molecular compound .. it is made up of hydrogen atoms and oxygen atoms bound together by covalent bonds.

Air is a mixture of gases .. it is mostly molecular nitrogen (two nitrogen atoms bound together) and molecular oxygen (two oxygen atoms bound together), with some other minor components.

So, you are correct that air compressed to the same density as water will have different properties that liquid water. The reason for this is because the different substances are composed of different combinations of atoms at the molecular level. I can't go much beyond this without getting significantly more technical.

silenzer said:
what is it that gives atoms its properties?

As SpectraCat wrote, it is arrangement of electrons that defines properties. This arrangement is in turn function of the nucleus charge, that is different for each element (but identical for all atoms of the same element).

Related to What gives atoms the properties of a chemichal?

What gives atoms the properties of a chemical?

Atoms have different properties based on their atomic structure, which is determined by the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons they have.

How do atoms form chemical bonds?

Atoms form chemical bonds through the sharing, donation, or acceptance of electrons, which allows them to achieve a stable electron configuration.

What determines an atom's reactivity?

An atom's reactivity is determined by the number of electrons in its outermost energy level, or valence shell. Atoms with incomplete valence shells tend to be more reactive, as they are seeking to gain or lose electrons to achieve stability.

Why do different elements have different chemical properties?

The different properties of elements are due to their unique atomic structures. Each element has a different number of protons, which determines its atomic number and placement on the periodic table, and therefore its chemical properties.

How do atoms acquire their properties?

Atoms acquire their properties through the arrangement and interactions of their subatomic particles. The number and arrangement of protons, neutrons, and electrons determine an atom's size, mass, and reactivity, among other characteristics.