What fraction of the engine power is being used for the place to fly

In summary, the fraction of engine power used to make the airplane climb is 23.8%. This was calculated by considering the total power of 76 kW, the mass of the airplane at 660 kg, and the velocity of 2.8 m/s. It was determined that the correct equation to use is P = m*g*v, resulting in a fraction of 23.8% of the engine power being used for climbing.
cantgetno

Homework Statement

When its engine of power 76 kW is generating full power, a small single-engine airplane with mass 660 kg gains altitude at a rate of 2.8 m/s.
What fraction of the engine power is being used to make the airplane climb?

Homework Equations

total power=76x10^3 W
mass=660 kg
dx/dt=velocity=2.8 m/s

Power=mass x velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

(660x2.8)/(76x10^3) x 100 = 2.4% but this is wrong and I am not sure where I've gone wrong

Physics news on Phys.org

cantgetno said:

Homework Statement

When its engine of power 76 kW is generating full power, a small single-engine airplane with mass 660 kg gains altitude at a rate of 2.8 m/s.
What fraction of the engine power is being used to make the airplane climb?

Homework Equations

total power=76x10^3 W
mass=660 kg
dx/dt=velocity=2.8 m/s

Power=mass x velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

(660x2.8)/(76x10^3) x 100 = 2.4% but this is wrong and I am not sure where I've gone wrong

There's no gravity?

oh of course

660(2.8+9.8)/(76x10^3) x 100 =10.9%

is that it?

cantgetno said:
oh of course

660(2.8+9.8)/(76x10^3) x 100 =10.9%

is that it?

No. Because Power is Work / time = Force * distance / time

In this case it is P = m*g *v

OK i get what you mean

so its:

660x2.8x9.8 / 76x10^3 x 100 = 23.8

thank you lots

cantgetno said:
OK i get what you mean

so its:

660x2.8x9.8 / 76x10^3 x 100 = 23.8

thank you lots

There you go.

Cheers.

Related to What fraction of the engine power is being used for the place to fly

1. What is the fraction of engine power used for flying?

The fraction of engine power used for flying depends on several factors such as the aircraft's weight, airspeed, and altitude. However, on average, about 80% of the engine power is used for flying.

2. How does the fraction of engine power used for flying vary between different aircraft?

The fraction of engine power used for flying can vary greatly between different aircraft. For example, smaller and lighter aircraft may use a higher percentage of their engine power for flying compared to larger and heavier aircraft.

3. Does the fraction of engine power used for flying change during different phases of flight?

Yes, the fraction of engine power used for flying can change during different phases of flight. For example, during takeoff and climb, the engine power used for flying is typically higher compared to cruise or descent.

4. How does air temperature and density affect the fraction of engine power used for flying?

Air temperature and density can have a significant impact on the fraction of engine power used for flying. In hot and high-altitude conditions, the air is less dense, which means the aircraft needs more engine power to maintain the same level of performance.

5. Can the fraction of engine power used for flying be measured?

Yes, the fraction of engine power used for flying can be measured using various instruments and sensors on the aircraft. This information is continuously monitored by the flight crew and can also be recorded for post-flight analysis.