What Forces Keep a Laptop on a Car Roof at High Speeds?

In summary: Original post restored by moderators after being deleted by riseofphoenix>>I'm sorry, I didn't mean to put that. Do I just edit it out?In summary, a laptop was placed on the roof of a car and the car is driving west at a velocity of 45 mi/hr. The laptop has a downward force of 50 N and a horizontal force of 20 N. The coefficient of static friction between the laptop and the car roof is 0.4. The mass of the car is 1200 kg and the mass of the laptop is 4 kg. The free body diagram of the laptop shows a force of 20 N and a force of static friction. The maximum acceleration that can be applied to the
riseofphoenix
<< Original post restored by Moderators after being deleted by riseofphoenix >>

While you are packing up to drive to school, you forget your laptop on the roof of your car. As you are driving west towards school at v = 45 mi/hr, you suddenly remember the laptop, roll down your window, and put your hand on the laptop exerting a force of 50 N downward and 20 N horizontally toward the rear of the car on the laptop, and hit the brakes. The coefficient of static friction of between the laptop and car roof is 0.4. The mass of the car is 1200 kg and the mass of the laptop is 4 kg.

(a) Draw the free body diagram of the laptop. Label ALL forces acting on it. Label your coordinate axes defining your directions.

I know that:
v = 20.1168 m/s
F1 (downward) = 50 N
F2 (horizontal) = 20 N
μs = 0.4
fs = 0.4*n
mass of the laptop = 4 kg

Is this how the free-body diagram should look like?
IMAGE: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/slourg/freebodydiagram_zps7eb1828b.jpg

(b) What is the maximum acceleration (magnitude AND direction) that can be applied to the car so that the laptop does not end up in several pieces on the pavement?

Forces in the x-direction:
fs

ƩFx = ma
20 + fs = (4)a
20 + 0.4n = (4)a​

** Solve for normal force, n, from ƩFy = 0 **
20 + 0.4(-10.8) = (4)a
20 - 43.2 = (4)a
-23.2 = (4)a
-23.2/4 = a
-5.8 m/s2 = a​

QUESTION: Is that the answer? a = -5.8 m/s2? If not, can you show me how to get the answer?

Forces in the y-direction:
n

ƩFy = 0
n + 50 + (-39.2) = 0
n + 50 - 39.2 = 0
n + 10.8 = 0
n = -10.8​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
riseofphoenix said:
While you are packing up to drive to school, you forget your laptop on the roof of your car. As you are driving west towards school at v = 45 mi/hr, you suddenly remember the laptop, roll down your window, and put your hand on the laptop exerting a force of 50 N downward and 20 N horizontally toward the rear of the car on the laptop, and hit the brakes. The coefficient of static friction of between the laptop and car roof is 0.4. The mass of the car is 1200 kg and the mass of the laptop is 4 kg.

(a) Draw the free body diagram of the laptop. Label ALL forces acting on it. Label your coordinate axes defining your directions.

I know that:
v = 20.1168 m/s
F1 (downward) = 50 N
F2 (horizontal) = 20 N
μs = 0.4
fs = 0.4*n
mass of the laptop = 4 kg

Is this how the free-body diagram should look like?
IMAGE: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/slourg/freebodydiagram_zps7eb1828b.jpg

(b) What is the maximum acceleration (magnitude AND direction) that can be applied to the car so that the laptop does not end up in several pieces on the pavement?

Forces in the x-direction:
fs

ƩFx = ma
20 + fs = (4)a
20 + 0.4n = (4)a​

** Solve for normal force, n, from ƩFy = 0 **
20 + 0.4(-10.8) = (4)a
20 - 43.2 = (4)a
-23.2 = (4)a
-23.2/4 = a
-5.8 m/s2 = a​

QUESTION: Is that the answer? a = -5.8 m/s2? If not, can you show me how to get the answer?

Forces in the y-direction:
n

ƩFy = 0
n + 50 + (-39.2) = 0
n + 50 - 39.2 = 0
n + 10.8 = 0
n = -10.8​
Depending upon the amount of deceleration due to braking, the force of friction may be towards the rear of the vehicle. Under maximum braking, the force of friction will be towards the rear of the vehicle.

The normal force is in opposition to both the weight and the applied force of 50 Newtons.

<<Original post restored by moderators after being deleted by riseofphoenix>>

Wait...what do you mean?? D=

Is my answer right?

Omg...please don't take offense to thins but I have no idea where you're getting at... :(
Everytime I post a thread like this, I always get extremely vague/abstract answers.
Can you please clarify?

Are you saying normal force DOESN'T equal -50 + 39.2?

riseofphoenix said:
Wait...what do you mean?? D=

Is my answer right?
No.
Omg...please don't take offense to thins but I have no idea where you're getting at... :(
Everytime I post a thread like this, I always get extremely vague/abstract answers.
Can you please clarify?

Are you saying normal force DOESN'T equal -50 + 39.2?
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

What are the vertical forces acting on the laptop?

So what does N equal then?

n + (-50) + (-39.2) = 0
n = 89.2??

riseofphoenix said:
So what does N equal then?

n + (-50) + (-39.2) = 0
n = 89.2??
Yes.

The main force keeping the laptop from sliding (forward) as the car brakes is the force of friction between the roof & the laptop. To keep the laptop from sliding forward, in what direction must the force of friction act on the laptop?

That 20 N component merely aids in keeping the laptop from sliding forward.

So it should be...

20 + 0.4(89.2) = (4)a
20 + 35.68 = (4)a
55.68 = (4)a
13.92 m/s2= a

Is that the answer?

riseofphoenix said:
So it should be...

20 + 0.4(89.2) = (4)a
20 + 35.68 = (4)a
55.68 = (4)a
13.92 m/s2= a

Is that the answer?
The method looks good.

Let's see ... How could we check the answer?

East! since the car is already moving west.
Right?

So is the direction East?

riseofphoenix said:
East! since the car is already moving west.
Right?

So is the direction East?
If the car's moving west, then yes, east. Also, if the car's moving west then the 20 Newton component is also east.

From the PF rules:

Neither member accounts nor a member's posts will be deleted on demand. It is up to the discretion of the forum owners and admins. Posts are for everyone's benefit and should be thought of as permanent.

This thread will not be deleted.

Zz.

Related to What Forces Keep a Laptop on a Car Roof at High Speeds?

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a measurable influence that can cause an object to accelerate or deform. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How do you calculate the components of a force?

The components of a force can be calculated using trigonometry. The horizontal component is found by multiplying the force by the cosine of the angle between the force and the x-axis. The vertical component is found by multiplying the force by the sine of the angle.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How does acceleration relate to force?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

5. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.