What forces contribute to a runner's forward propulsion?

• Thread starter DeNovo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation is discussing the correct way to draw a free-body diagram for a person running. The person initially thought it was option D, but after understanding Newton's Third Law, they realized it was actually option C. The conversation also touches on the importance of drawing separate free-body diagrams for each body involved and considering factors like acceleration and drag.
DeNovo

Homework Statement

gRfEX1j.png

Homework Equations

None. Only free-body diagrams I think, but I'm unsure how to exactyl draw it.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, my reasoning is that it is D, but I'm not exactly sure. When drawing a free body diagram, I only draw one force of friction, but I think intuitively there would be two (C and D), why not both? Also, wouldn't A and B also exist, so why don't we have two FNs in the diagram? I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forces move the thing they are exerted on. How could a force that is not exerted on the person move the person?

phinds said:
Forces move the thing they are exerted on. How could a force that is not exerted on the person move the person?
I understand that, but why are all the free-body diagrams I do in class only include the force of friction going one way, such as this:
upload_2017-8-17_19-53-56.png

DeNovo said:
I understand that
Then why did you say "So, my reasoning is that it is D"

DeNovo said:
why are all the free-body diagrams I do in class only include the force of friction going one way]
Because you are doing them wrong.

So, I think it is "D" because A and B are upwards (perpendicular to surface) so wouldn't propel forward, and C would only slow the person/object down because it is in the opposite direction, not propel, so then just by process of elimination I think it is D and it seems to make sense because if I picture a foot hitting the ground "backwards" that seems to push the object forwards.

DeNovo said:
So, I think it is "D" because A and B are upwards (perpendicular to surface) so wouldn't propel forward, and C would only slow the person/object down because it is in the opposite direction, not propel, so then just by process of elimination I think it is D and it seems to make sense because if I picture a foot hitting the ground "backwards" that seems to push the object forwards.
I specifically told you that a force moves that on which it is exerted. You said you understand that, but you continue to insist that a force that is not acting on the person causes the person to move.

Do you understand Newton's Third Law? How does it apply in this case?

Sorry for my elementary physics skills, but I understand now that it is "C" because since a force moves that on which it is exerted, C is exerted on the person therefore that must be the force that pushes it.

Right and do you now understand why your force diagram is deficient?

phinds said:
Right and do you now understand why your force diagram is deficient?
It is deficient because of Newton's Third Law (force every force there must be an opposite and equal force). So, in the force diagram I would remove the FN and replace it with Ff(k) representing the force of the ground onto the runner.

You have two Fn's. I suggest you draw a new, neater and correct, diagram so we can be sure you have it right

lPum1LQ.png

Why do you feel that FFK1 and FFK2 are not equal and opposite? I ask you again, do you understand Newton's 3rd Law?

If I were accelerating, how would it look differently? What extra and unequal force is being added? That's the only reason I put ma.

DeNovo said:
If I were accelerating, how would it look differently? What extra and unequal force is being added? That's the only reason I put ma.
Rather than ask new questions, how about you answer MY question?

"do you understand Newton's 3rd Law?"

Yes, every force and an equal and opposite force, so when subtracting them it should be 0. But that's exactly why I'm confused how I would account for acceleration in the force diagram so that the right minus left forces would equal ma. Sorry for my inexperience.

The Earth pushes on the runner and the runner goes forward. The runner pushes on the Earth and the Earth goes backward. It's as simple as that.

DeNovo said:
The best way to draw free body diagrams is to have a separate one for each body. In the present case, one for the person/foot, not showing the ground it rests on, and, optionally, a separate one for the ground. That helps avoid confusion over which force acts on what.
In the FBD for the foot you would show gravity, the normal force from the ground, and the forward-pointing frictional force.
If you have an FBD for the ground it would show the downward normal force from the person and the backward-pointing frictional force. And for completeness I suppose it should have an upward force, the gravitational attraction the person exerts on the Earth.

/ch
haruspex said:
The best way to draw free body diagrams is to have a separate one for each body. In the present case, one for the person/foot, not showing the ground it rests on, and, optionally, a separate one for the ground. That helps avoid confusion over which force acts on what.
In the FBD for the foot you would show gravity, the normal force from the ground, and the forward-pointing frictional force.
If you have an FBD for the ground it would show the downward normal force from the person and the backward-pointing frictional force. And for completeness I suppose it should have an upward force, the gravitational attraction the person exerts on the Earth.

That makes it easier to understand, but how would the FBD look different if say when I was running I was speeding up than if I was running at a constant speed?

DeNovo said:
That makes it easier to understand, but how would the FBD look different if say when I was running I was speeding up than if I was running at a constant speed?
The question as stated asked about forward propulsion, so I took this to be the accelerating case.
We can make it a bit more accurate by adding an opposing horizontal vector for drag. If running at constant speed what would the net horizontal force be?

Related to What forces contribute to a runner's forward propulsion?

What is the definition of a force?

A force is a push or pull that causes an object to move or change its direction or shape.

What are the main forces that propel runners?

The main forces that propel runners are gravity, ground reaction force, air resistance, and muscle force.

How does gravity affect running?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. When running, gravity pulls the runner towards the ground, providing the force needed to propel them forward.

What is ground reaction force and how does it impact running?

Ground reaction force is the force exerted by the ground on an object in contact with it. In running, the ground reaction force propels the runner forward as their foot pushes against the ground.

How do air resistance and muscle force contribute to running?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In running, air resistance can slow down a runner's speed. Muscle force, on the other hand, is the force generated by the muscles to move the body. Stronger muscles can generate more force and propel runners faster.