What forces act on a metal ball between two charged spheres?

In summary, the small ball will swing between the 2 charges and carry charge from one to the other. The ball will have negative charge and repelled by the negative sphere and attracted by the positive one. The ball feels the Coulomb force from the spheres in addition to gravity.
sasuke07

Homework Statement

Hi so i am having a problem understanding charge. The problem is
Two identical metal spheres on insulating stands are placed some distance apart. On one sphere is some amount of excess negative charge. On the other sphere is twice as much excess positive charge. Hanging midway between the two spheres on an insulating thread is a metal ball (a pendulum in effect). The ball of the pendulum is pushed gently to the side (with an insulating rod) until it contacts the positively charged sphere and then it is released.
This is not a calculation problem but more of a conceptual problem.

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that the metal ball would first start out postively charged as its already touching the positve sphere and then as it swings over the postive charge would attract the negative charge and then lose the positve charge as it swings back over and finally lose its negative charge once it swings back over again, and the process would continue until someone stopped the medal ball. But I am not sure. There could also be other questions related to this but not so sure what those could be as well.
please help

Attachments

• chargeskills.jpg
    chargeskills.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
sasuke07 said:

Homework Statement

Hi so i am having a problem understanding charge. The problem is
Two identical metal spheres on insulating stands are placed some distance apart. On one sphere is some amount of excess negative charge. On the other sphere is twice as much excess positive charge. Hanging midway between the two spheres on an insulating thread is a metal ball (a pendulum in effect). The ball of the pendulum is pushed gently to the side (with an insulating rod) until it contacts the positively charged sphere and then it is released.
This is not a calculation problem but more of a conceptual problem.

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that the metal ball would first start out postively charged as its already touching the positve sphere and then as it swings over the postive charge would attract the negative charge and then lose the positive charge as it swings back over and finally lose its negative charge once it swings back over again, and the process would continue until someone stopped the medal ball. But I'm not sure. There could also be other questions related to this but not so sure what those could be as well.
please help
So, what is your question?

You think it well, the small ball will swing between the spheres and carry charge from one to the other. What will stop the process? What is the final charge on the spheres?

ehild

my question is am i right/on the right path or ya. The question doesn't state the process will stop or what the final charge would be. I just wanted to know if i had the concept down.

The concept of the small ball swinging and carrying charge is correct, but it is not sure that the small ball will swing forever.

ehild

okay thanks, so would it go in cycles as well. for ex. start out positve, then go to positve and negative then just negative and to eventually no charge where it starts over again. This was my main concern

The small ball will always carry some charge. When it touches the negative sphere it becomes negatively charged and it becomes positive when touching the positive sphere. The electrons will added to the ball or removed from it till there is potential difference between sphere and ball.

ehild

So now i have a couple more quesitons. after the small ball makes contact with the negative sphere the first time what charge will it have. Will it be slightly more positive, negative? and besides gravity what forces is will the ball feel from the larger spheres. will it be repelled by the positive and attracted to the negative?

sasuke07 said:
So now i have a couple more quesitons. after the small ball makes contact with the negative sphere the first time what charge will it have. Will it be slightly more positive, negative? and besides gravity what forces is will the ball feel from the larger spheres. will it be repelled by the positive and attracted to the negative?

It will have negative charge and repelled by the negative sphere and attracted by the positive one. The ball feels the Coulomb force from the spheres in addition to gravity.

ehild

Related to What forces act on a metal ball between two charged spheres?

1. What is the concept of charge in science?

The concept of charge in science refers to the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It is an intrinsic property of particles, such as protons and electrons, and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is charge measured?

Charge is measured in units of coulombs (C) using an instrument called an electrometer. The amount of charge on a particle can be determined by measuring the force it experiences in an electric field.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are carried by particles with more protons than electrons, while negative charges are carried by particles with more electrons than protons. They are attracted to each other, while like charges repel each other.

4. Can charge be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, charge cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one object to another.

5. How does charge interact with other fundamental forces?

Charge is the basis for the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. It also interacts with the weak and strong nuclear forces, but these interactions are only significant at the atomic and subatomic level.