What Forces Act on a Driven Pendulum?

In summary, the net force done on a driven pendulum can be calculated by adding the driving force and the gravitational force together, which are represented by Fd and Fg respectively. However, it is important to consider any additional restoring force that may be present in the system.
cytochrome

Homework Statement

What is the net force done on a driven pendulum?

Homework Equations

Fd=mk (driving force)
Fg=mg (Gravitational force)
Fr=? (Do I need to include this?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet = Fd + Fg = mk + mg

I'm not sure if I need to include the restoring force, which was not given in the problem but I know it is there.

Physics news on Phys.org
cytochrome said:
What is the net force done on a driven pendulum?
Force "done"? Unusual terminology. Does it really say that?

Homework Equations

Fd=mk (driving force)
Why is the driving force proportional to the mass of the pendulum? Or is this some other mass?
Fg=mg (Gravitational force)
Are you using g as a vector here? If not, you need to consider that not all the forces will be collinear.
Fr=? (Do I need to include this?)
Depends what it is. There certainly is another force somewhere, or the pendulum would drop like a stone.

Related to What Forces Act on a Driven Pendulum?

1. What is the restoring force on a pendulum?

The restoring force on a pendulum is the force that acts towards the equilibrium position, pulling the pendulum back to its original position after it has been displaced.

2. How is the restoring force related to the pendulum's motion?

The restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the pendulum from its equilibrium position. This means that the greater the displacement, the greater the restoring force, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the restoring force on a pendulum?

The restoring force on a pendulum is influenced by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the strength of the gravitational force.

4. How does the restoring force change as the pendulum swings?

As the pendulum swings, the restoring force changes in direction. When the pendulum is at its highest points, the restoring force is zero, and as it swings towards the equilibrium position, the restoring force increases in magnitude.

5. Why is the restoring force important in understanding pendulum motion?

The restoring force is crucial in understanding pendulum motion because it is responsible for the oscillatory motion of the pendulum. Without the restoring force, the pendulum would not swing back and forth and would eventually come to rest at the equilibrium position.