What force potential should I use for star formations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a specific force potential in conducting molecular dynamic simulations and the role of gravity in these simulations. The speaker suggests calculating the gravitational escape velocity for a molecular mass to estimate the weakness of gravity.
sqljunkey
I'm running some molecular dynamic simulations and I came across this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_formation#Cloud_collapse , and I was wondering if there was a specific force potential to use in this case.

Supposing I have a ensemble of heated atoms moving around and I cool them down how and when will gravity start playing a role.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of gravity is so weak that any remotely realistic molecular dynamics simulation will never show you the effect from gravity. You can get a rough order of magnitude estimate for how weak gravity is by calculating the gravitational escape velocity for a molecular mass and use kinetic theory to find out roughly what temperature that velocity corresponds to.

Likes berkeman

Related to What force potential should I use for star formations?

1. What is the role of force potential in star formation?

The force potential is a measure of the strength of the gravitational force between particles in a system. In star formation, it determines how quickly gas and dust can come together to form stars. A higher force potential leads to faster star formation, while a lower force potential results in slower star formation.

2. How do you determine the optimal force potential for star formation?

The optimal force potential for star formation depends on various factors, such as the density and temperature of the gas and the initial conditions of the system. Scientists use computer simulations and observations of real star-forming regions to determine the most suitable force potential for a given scenario.

3. What happens if the force potential is too high or too low?

If the force potential is too high, the gas and dust particles will collapse and form stars at a rapid rate, potentially resulting in a burst of star formation. On the other hand, if the force potential is too low, the particles will take longer to come together, leading to a slower and more gradual star formation process.

4. Can the force potential change over time during star formation?

Yes, the force potential can change over time as the gas and dust particles interact and merge together. As stars form and exert their own gravitational forces, the overall force potential in the system can also change. This is why it is important for scientists to continuously monitor and adjust the force potential in their simulations to accurately model star formation.

5. Are there any other factors besides force potential that affect star formation?

Yes, there are many other factors that can influence the process of star formation, such as the presence of magnetic fields, the composition of the gas and dust, and the surrounding environment. These factors can all impact the force potential and play a role in determining the rate and efficiency of star formation.