What force does the trailer exert on the car?

In summary, during a vacation, a car with a mass of 1500 kg pulled a trailer with a mass of 540 kg with an acceleration of 2.00 m/s^2. The force exerted by the car was calculated to be 1.08 kN and the force exerted by the trailer was 3.0 kN. In order to find the correct answer, Newton's 3rd law, the law of equal and opposite action-reaction pairs, needed to be applied. The correct force exerted by the trailer on the car is 1.08 kN. However, this process took multiple attempts and the speaker predicts having another question in the near future.
Pencil
ugh I've got problems with Newton again. >.<

On vacation, your 1500 kg car pulls a 540 kg trailer away from a stop light with an acceleration of 2.00 m/s^2.
What force does the trailer exert on the car?

F=ma so: Force of car is 1.08 kN and Force of trailer is 3.0 kN. I thought it would be 1.08-3.0 but I was wrong. What do I need to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to invoke Newton's 3rd law: the law of equal and opposite action-reaction pairs.

Got it. Thanks. 1.08 kN. I acually got it the first time, only typed it in wrong. omg this class is going to kill me. I'm sure to have another question with in the next 3 minutes...

Related to What force does the trailer exert on the car?

1. What is the definition of force?

The definition of force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate, change direction, or deform.

2. How is force related to the motion of objects?

Force is directly related to the motion of objects through Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. How does the trailer exert a force on the car?

The trailer exerts a force on the car through the force of friction between the two objects. As the trailer moves forward, it creates a forward force on the car, causing it to accelerate.

4. Is the force exerted by the trailer on the car greater or lesser than the force exerted by the car on the trailer?

According to Newton's Third Law, the force exerted by the trailer on the car is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the car on the trailer. Therefore, the forces are equal.

5. Can the force exerted by the trailer on the car be calculated?

Yes, the force exerted by the trailer on the car can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the car, and a is the acceleration caused by the force. This calculation can be done using the weight of the trailer, the coefficient of friction between the two objects, and the acceleration of the car.