What Force Does the 4 kg Block Exert on the 7 kg Block?

In summary, the problem involves three blocks sliding on a frictionless horizontal surface with a net force of 26 N and a total mass of 12 kg. The net force on Block 3 is 8.67 N, which means that it exerts a force of 11.67 N on Block 2 due to Newton's 3rd law.
PrideofPhilly

Homework Statement

The horizontal surface on which the objects slide is frictionless. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. Three blocks are sliding on a frictionless horizontal surface:

Fℓ----->[Block1-1kg][Block2-7kg][Block3-4kg]<--Fr

If Fℓ = 29 N and Fr = 3 N, what is the magnitude of the force exerted on the block with mass 7 kg by the block with mass 4 kg?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

29 N - 3 N = 26 N (total force) 1kg + 7 kg + 4 kg = 12 kg (total mass)

a= F/m = 26 N/12 kg = 2.166666667 m/s2 (acceleration of all the blocks in the right direction)

masses of Block2 + Block 3 = 11 kg

F = (11 kg)(2.166666667) = 23.83333333 N (THIS IS THE WRONG ANSWER!)

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
PrideofPhilly said:
F = (11 kg)(2.166666667) = 23.83333333 N (THIS IS THE WRONG ANSWER!)
You found the net force on the "Block2 + Block 3" system. Not sure why.

Hint: What's the net force on Block 3? How can you use that result to answer the question asked in the problem?

Net force on Block 3 = (4 kg)(2.166666667) = 8.666666668 N

So, the force of 8.67 N is being exerted on Block 3 from the left, but if I am trying to find the force being exerted on Block 2 from Block 3 (from the right), then would I have to find the net force being exerted by Block 1 and 2? I'm not quite sure.

OR:

The net force on Block 3 + Fr = 8.67 N + 3 N = 11.67 N (force exerted on block 2 by block 3)

Is that right?

PrideofPhilly said:
Net force on Block 3 = (4 kg)(2.166666667) = 8.666666668 N
Good.

So, the force of 8.67 N is being exerted on Block 3 from the left,
No, 8.67 N is the net force on block 3.

but if I am trying to find the force being exerted on Block 2 from Block 3 (from the right), then would I have to find the net force being exerted by Block 1 and 2? I'm not quite sure.
Don't forget Newton's 3rd law: If you can figure out the force that block 2 exerts on block 3, then you automatically know the force that block 3 exerts on block 2.

PrideofPhilly said:
OR:

The net force on Block 3 + Fr = 8.67 N + 3 N = 11.67 N (force exerted on block 2 by block 3)

Is that right?
Yes. Here's how to think of it:
Net Force on Block 3 = + 8.67 N (Positive, since it points right.)
Force of Block 2 on Block 3 + Fr = + 8.67 N
Force of Block 2 on Block 3 - 3N = + 8.67 N (Note that Fr is negative, since it points left.)
Force of Block 2 on Block 3 = + 8.67 N + 3N = 11.67 N

Thus the force of Block 3 on Block 2 = -11.67 N (from Newton's 3rd law); the magnitude is just 11.67 N.

Thank you!

Related to What Force Does the 4 kg Block Exert on the 7 kg Block?

1. What is "Three Blocks Accelerating"?

"Three Blocks Accelerating" refers to a physics problem in which three blocks of different masses are connected by strings and pulled with a constant force, causing them to accelerate at the same rate.

2. What is the purpose of studying this problem?

Studying this problem helps us understand concepts such as Newton's Laws of Motion, force, acceleration, and the relationship between mass and acceleration.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of the blocks?

The acceleration of the blocks can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the total mass of the blocks.

4. Are there any assumptions made in this problem?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made in this problem, including the absence of friction and the strings being massless and inextensible.

5. What real-life scenarios can be modeled using this problem?

This problem can be used to model scenarios such as a car towing a trailer, a person pulling a sled, or a pulley system lifting objects of different masses.