What Focal Length Lens Corrects a Near Point from 80cm to 30cm?

In summary, using the given equation of 1/di + 1/do = 1/f, the focal length lens required to correct a near point of 80 cm to 30 cm is 48 cm. The attempt at a solution involved using a similar equation and resulted in the correct answer of 48 cm, but the process is still not fully understood.
klilly

Homework Statement

A person had a near point of 80 cm. What focal length lens would be required to correct this persons near point to 30cm, allowing then to read at this distance

Homework Equations

Maybe: 1/di + 1/do = 1/f = P
I found another similar question which used 1/(the given near point aka the 80cm) - 1/(the desired near point aka 30) = 1/f
This got me the right answer, but I still don't understand why.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 48cm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. I got this answer by using the equation I found for similar problems, which is 1/(the given near point aka the 80cm) - 1/(the desired near point aka 30) = 1/f

Related to What Focal Length Lens Corrects a Near Point from 80cm to 30cm?

What is a focal length corrective lens?

A focal length corrective lens is a type of lens that is used to correct vision problems caused by an abnormal shape of the eye. It is designed to change the focal length of the eye, allowing for clearer and sharper vision.

How does a focal length corrective lens work?

A focal length corrective lens works by bending the light that enters the eye, which helps to focus the light onto the retina. This corrects any vision problems caused by an abnormal shape of the eye, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism.

Who needs a focal length corrective lens?

Anyone who has vision problems caused by an abnormal shape of the eye may benefit from a focal length corrective lens. This includes individuals with nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism.

Are there different types of focal length corrective lenses?

Yes, there are different types of focal length corrective lenses, including glasses, contact lenses, and even surgical procedures. The type of lens recommended will depend on the individual's specific vision needs and preferences.

How do I know if I need a focal length corrective lens?

If you are experiencing vision problems, such as blurry or distorted vision, it is important to see an eye doctor for a comprehensive eye exam. They will be able to determine if you need a focal length corrective lens to improve your vision.