What factors determine the potential difference in a battery cell?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of cells in chemistry and how their explanations may be unsatisfactory. The focus is on the flow of electrons and the potential gradient in a specific cell type. The conversation also touches on the Gibbs energy change and its relation to cell potential, but explains that the reason for the favorable state of one ion over another is a complicated problem.
iScience
i first formally learned about the cell in my chemistry class. their explanations for how it works was very unsatisfactory for me; so i wondered if this was rather a physics question.

i have two half cells connected by a conductor (between the plates) and a salt bridge. i ask people why is there a flow of electrons in one particular direction and they keep telling me that "it's lower in energy to do so" but this doesn't explain ANYTHING about the mechanisms, ie the processes behind WHY it makes it lower in energy... all that statement does is that it provides me with a picture of a potential gradient which i am already aware of, because.. obviously if the electrons have a net direction then there MUST be a potential gradient. so that is obvious, but I'm interested in the process behind all of this that is responsible for setting up the potential gradient.

Cu(s)|Ag(aq)||Ag+(aq)|Ag(s)

this is the cell we've worked with in class. i don't understand why there exists a potential between two half cells.
basically what I'm looking for is, what property/quality of each half cell when considering them separately, is relatively high or relatively low when compared to the other half cell? there MUST exist a relative difference in something when considering them separately s.t when connecting them, they don't magically just "become lower in energy" to go in one particular direction; which is what the chem people were telling me. they keep saying that it's pointless considering them separately and that i had to consider them only when the two half cells were hooked up together.

so, what is this property/quality i am looking for?

i say quality because I'm looking for a qualitative description. I'm not looking for specific quantitatives.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thermodynamically, the Gibbs energy change in the net process ##Cu+2Ag^{+} \rightarrow Cu^{2+}+2Ag## is negative, which makes the process spontaneous and drives the flow of electrons. The Gibbs energy change can be related to the cell potential with the equation

##\Delta G^{0}=NFE^{0}_{cell}##

Explaining why it's favorable in terms of Gibbs energy to have a ##Cu^{2+}## ion in solution rather than an ##Ag^{+}## ion would be a really complicated quantum chemical and statistical mechanical problem, so you just have to accept the electrochemical series as it is given.

Related to What factors determine the potential difference in a battery cell?

1. How does a battery cell produce electricity?

A battery cell produces electricity through a chemical reaction that occurs within the cell. The chemicals inside the cell react with each other to create electrons, which are then collected and stored for use as electricity.

2. What are the components of a battery cell?

A battery cell typically consists of two electrodes, an anode and a cathode, separated by an electrolyte solution. The electrodes are made of different materials, such as zinc and copper, and the electrolyte allows for the flow of ions between them.

3. What is the role of the anode and cathode in a battery cell?

The anode is the negative terminal of the cell and is where the oxidation reaction takes place, releasing electrons. The cathode is the positive terminal and is where the reduction reaction occurs, accepting electrons. This flow of electrons is what creates the electric current.

4. How does a battery cell store and release energy?

A battery cell stores energy through the chemical reaction that occurs between the anode and cathode. When the battery is connected to a circuit, the reaction is reversed, and the stored energy is released in the form of electricity. This process can be repeated until the chemicals inside the cell are depleted.

5. What factors affect the performance of a battery cell?

The performance of a battery cell can be affected by various factors, such as the materials used for the electrodes and electrolyte, the size and design of the cell, and the temperature. Other factors, such as the age of the battery and the number of charging cycles, can also impact its performance over time.