What experiment shows that the universal speed limit is the same as light?

In summary, the two statements equivalent to the question are that local Lorentz invariance holds (that there is a universal speed limit) and that the photon is massless.
thenewmans
I figure the answer is somewhere in the sticky FAQ above but I’m having trouble finding it. I’m hoping y’all can help.

I understand the Michelson–Morley experiment shows that the speed of light is the same in all directions and that that is a postulate in SR. But just like every other experiment, it has its accuracy limits. I figure there must be some other experiment that shows they’re exactly the same or it might be that the universal speed limit is slightly faster than light speed. I don’t think the universal speed limit is less than light speed because that truly would mess up the theory of SR. So I guess I’m looking for the upper limit. To assume they’re exactly the same seems unnecessary. Such an assumption is not required by the theory of SR. All the formulas would stay the same except “C” would be slightly faster than light speed. In other words light speed would not be a constant but the universal speed limit would be that constant used in SR.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two technical statements that are equivalent to your question are:
1) local Lorentz invariance holds: asserts there is a universal speed limit,
2) the photon is massless (which in terms of classical light waves means that all wavelengths of light travel at the same speed): asserts that light travels at the universal speed limit.

Experimental limits on local Lorentz invariance are reviewed in http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0502097 and http://pirsa.org/11100056/.

Experimental limits on photon mass are reviewed in http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.1003.

thenewmans said:
Re: What experiment shows that the universal speed limit is the same as light?
Think for a second how an experiment could demonstrate something like that. The answer is you can't. It is like proving a negative.

However if you accelerate a particle in an accelerator you will observe it can approach but never reach c.

Atyy and Passionflower, Thank you both. This gives me a lot to think about. Atyy, I'll work on slogging through those ARXIV links. I've never been good at that. And thanks for the video!

Related to What experiment shows that the universal speed limit is the same as light?

1. What is the universal speed limit?

The universal speed limit is the maximum speed at which energy, information, or anything else in the universe can travel. It is also known as the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How was it determined that the universal speed limit is the same as light?

The experiment that showed the universal speed limit is the same as light was conducted by scientists Albert A. Michelson and Edward W. Morley in the late 19th century. They used an interferometer to measure the speed of light in different directions and found that it was always the same, regardless of the direction of measurement. This experiment became known as the Michelson-Morley experiment and provided evidence for the constancy of the speed of light, which led to the development of Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.

3. Why is the universal speed limit important?

The universal speed limit is important because it is a fundamental principle of the universe. It plays a crucial role in many theories and equations in physics, including Einstein's theory of relativity and the famous equation E=mc^2. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of technologies like GPS systems and particle accelerators.

4. Is the universal speed limit truly "universal"?

Yes, the universal speed limit applies to all forms of energy and matter in the universe. This includes light, electromagnetic radiation, particles, and even information. It is considered a fundamental constant and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

5. Can anything travel faster than the universal speed limit?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the universal speed limit. However, there are some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, that propose ways to travel faster than light by warping the fabric of space-time. These theories are still speculative and have not been proven through experiments.