What Exerts a Force on a beam of Light?

In summary: I would recommend reading "Einstein's General Theory of Relativity" by Albert Einstein. It is a dense read, but it will explain everything you are looking for.
LukeJD
I've been thinking about some really elementary ideas of light and I just can't get a handle on this. Everything on the electromagnetic spectrum travels at 3.0 x 10^8 m/s, but what force is exerted on these waves to travel at this speed and wouldn't Newton's third law mean that there would need to be an equal reactionary force?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
LukeJD said:
I've been thinking about some really elementary ideas of light and I just can't get a handle on this. Everything on the electromagnetic spectrum travels at 3.0 x 10^8 m/s, but what force is exerted on these waves to travel at this speed and wouldn't Newton's second law mean that there would need to be an equal reactionary force?

Why would there be a force?

Applying Newton's first law, for example would say that there isn't a force since it is already moving at c and no force is needed for it to maintain that.

Now, if you are asking of there's any recoil, even minuscule, when light is being emitted from an atom, let's say, then yes, but this is due entirely on the fact that light has a momentum.

Zz.

LukeJD said:
I've been thinking about some really elementary ideas of light and I just can't get a handle on this. Everything on the electromagnetic spectrum travels at 3.0 x 10^8 m/s, but what force is exerted on these waves to travel at this speed and wouldn't Newton's second law mean that there would need to be an equal reactionary force?
I don't quite see a simple connection between Newton's laws of motion and EM wave propagation, but even so: Newton's 2nd law says that a force is required to produce an acceleration; Newton's 1st law tells us that no force is needed to maintain a constant velocity.

btw, I want to preface this with "I don't know" I'm just trying to figure this out.

ZapperZ said:
Why would there be a force?

Applying Newton's first law, for example would say that there isn't a force since it is already moving at c and no force is needed for it to maintain that.

That makes sense that it would not need a continual force to maintain it's velocity, but what initially forced the wave to that velocity?

Doc Al said:
I don't quite see a simple connection between Newton's laws of motion and EM wave propagation

Because light shows signs of particle-wave duality, wouldn't the particle be bound to the same Newtonian laws?EDIT: I saw where I messed up in the original post, for some reason I wrote Newton's "Second" law, when I meant the third. Excuse the error!

LukeJD said:
That makes sense that it would not need a continual force to maintain it's velocity, but what initially forced the wave to that velocity?

Nothing. That's is the mistake most people make, and why Einstein was so smart. People want to apply the familiar rules on light, when they clearly do not work there. There is no F=ma. Instead, there is F=dp/dt. The only thing you can measure is that a body recoils or moves to preserve the conservation of momentum it interacts with light.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Nothing. That's is the mistake most people make, and why Einstein was so smart. People want to apply the familiar rules on light, when they clearly do not work there. There is no F=ma. Instead, there is F=dp/dt. The only thing you can measure is that a body recoils or moves to preserve the conservation of momentum it interacts with light.

Zz.

So EM waves have their own set of laws that have nothing to do with classical physics right?

LukeJD said:
So EM waves have their own set of laws that have nothing to do with classical physics right?

No, I was invoking Special Relativity. EM wave can certainly have classical physics description. After all, that's what Maxwell Equations are. However, there is no "force" in here that would apply to light, at least not in the sense that it needs one to be at c. Can light exert a "force"? Sure! That's why we know it has a momentum. But does it require one to be at c in vacuum? Nope.

Zz.

the 'springiness' of space is the force you are looking for.

It seems that you are thinking of a photon as a small pellet that must be accelerated from some initial speed to c. That is not the case. A photon is "born" traveling at c, it never travels at any slower speed, and it never accelerates to c.

DaleSpam said:
It seems that you are thinking of a photon as a small pellet that must be accelerated from some initial speed to c. That is not the case. A photon is "born" traveling at c, it never travels at any slower speed, and it never accelerates to c.

That's interesting, I did not know that. What book/text would you recommend for me to understand photon behavior more completely?

granpa said:
the 'springiness' of space is the force you are looking for.

Yes! Problem solved!

The forces on a photon are:
A) When the longitudinal momentum is changed; like when it is doppler-shifted, either up or down. Its momentum is p = E/c = hv/c, so when the photon energy changes, its longitudinal momentum also changes. Where is the recoil force?
B) When it is deflected transvrsely, like in a prism or mirror (recall that p is a vector along direction of propagation).

I am currently reading Einstein's Special and General Theories of Relativity. There is one part where he talks about light bending by gravity in space. When the light from a distant star passes by a large object in space the beam bends around the object due to its gravity. So essentially you are looking through that object. So forces can act on light. But when it is propagated it is already at maximum speed.

Related to What Exerts a Force on a beam of Light?

What Exerts a Force on a Beam of Light?

The most common questions about what exerts a force on a beam of light are:

1. Is light a type of matter that can exert a force?

No, light is not considered matter. It is an electromagnetic wave that does not have mass, so it cannot exert a force in the traditional sense. However, light can transfer momentum and exert pressure when it interacts with objects.

2. What causes light to bend or change direction?

Light can bend or change direction when it encounters a change in the medium it is traveling through. This can be caused by factors such as different densities, temperatures, or the presence of objects that reflect or refract light.

3. Can light exert a force on objects?

Yes, light can exert a force on objects through the transfer of momentum. This is known as radiation pressure and is caused by the reflection or absorption of light by an object.

4. How does light exert a force on solar sails?

Solar sails use the radiation pressure from light to propel spacecraft. The reflective material of the sail reflects the light, transferring momentum to the sail and propelling the spacecraft forward.

5. Can light exert a force in a vacuum?

Yes, light can exert a force in a vacuum as long as there is an object for it to interact with. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance to counteract the force of the light, so it can have a stronger effect on objects.