What exactly of the odds of getting a job doing....

• Physics
  • Thread starter Apple_Mango
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, getting a job in research for astrophysics and quantum mechanics is not easy. Most people in these fields work from the university they graduated from and it is uncommon to continue as a post-doc at the same university. The odds of becoming a mathematician with just a master's degree are very small and it is advised to have a plan B. However, if you have a BS in Physics with a high GPA and PGRE score, you can have a job as a research grad student for 5-8 years. After that, it is uncertain.
Apple_Mango
Is it easy to get a job doing research on astrophysics and quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're question is not detailed enough. Neither astrophysics nor quantum mechanics have a lot of jobs available. Most people working in these fields just work from the university they graduated from.

Easy? Not really. No.

CarmineS said:
Most people working in these fields just work from the university they graduated from.
No. After they finish their PhD, they usually do a couple of short-term post-doc positions at other universities, then (if they are lucky) they land a tenure-track assistant professor position at yet another university. It would be unusual to continue as a post-doc at the university that you get your PhD from.

Likes CarmineS
jtbell said:
No. After they finishing their PhD, they usually do a couple of short-term post-doc positions at other universities, then (if they are lucky) they land a tenure-track assistant professor position at yet another university. It would be unusual to continue as a post-doc at the university that you get your PhD from.

Really? I was not aware. I only know one physicist and they researched at the university they graduated from.

I don't want to make another thread for this question but what exactly are the odds of being a mathematician with just a masters?

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/math/mathematicians.htm

This sounds very appealing more so than working at a bank with applied math major.

"Exactly the odds"? Come on man, you should know that is not possible. It depends on your ability, tenacity and luck.

Ill make a guess… based on large populations and not you specifically… 15% of PhDs manage get that kind of job, 66% of grad students don't wash out or quit, 70% of prospective PhD students get into grad school, 40% of freshman prospective asto/quantum researchers get a BS.

You can multiply those together and get a very small percentage. Of course this is just my guess. But know that most physics grads get jobs outside of physics. A plan b is highly advised.

As for mathematician, it depends on how you want to define it. Doing research? Its probably better to think more along the lines of what you want to do rather than the title.

Apple_Mango said:
Is it easy to get a job doing research on astrophysics and quantum mechanics?

Yes. Graduate with a BS in Physics with a 3.7+ GPA and earn in the 80th percentile on the PGRE. You will have a job for 5-8 years as a grad student doing the research you desire. After that? Who knows.

Related to What exactly of the odds of getting a job doing....

1. What are the odds of getting a job in a specific field?

The odds of getting a job in a specific field can vary depending on factors such as the job market, your qualifications and experience, and the demand for that particular field. It is important to research and stay updated on current job trends in order to increase your chances of getting hired in a specific field.

2. How can I improve my odds of getting a job?

To improve your odds of getting a job, you can focus on developing relevant skills and gaining experience in your desired field. Networking, creating a strong resume and cover letter, and practicing for interviews can also increase your chances of getting hired.

3. What is the success rate of job applications?

The success rate of job applications can vary greatly depending on the specific job and industry. Generally, the success rate is low, with only a small percentage of applicants being selected for an interview or hired for the job. However, by tailoring your application to the specific job and showcasing your qualifications and experience, you can increase your chances of success.

4. Are there any factors that can affect my odds of getting a job?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect your odds of getting a job. These include your qualifications and experience, the job market and demand for your desired field, the competition for the job, and the success rate of job applications in that particular industry. It is important to consider these factors and make necessary adjustments to improve your chances of getting hired.

5. What can I do if I have a low chance of getting a job in my desired field?

If you have a low chance of getting a job in your desired field, you can consider expanding your job search to other related fields or industries. You can also focus on gaining more experience and skills in order to make yourself a more competitive candidate. Additionally, networking and reaching out to connections in your desired field can also increase your chances of getting hired.