What exactly is heat of combustion? How would I calculate it?

In summary, heat of combustion, also known as enthalpy of combustion, is the amount of heat energy released during complete combustion with oxygen. It is specific to combustion and different from other forms of heat energy. It is measured in joules or kilojoules per mole and can be calculated by subtracting enthalpy of products from reactants. It can be affected by factors such as molecular structure, oxygen concentration, temperature, pressure, and impurities.
black_hole
1. Calculate heat of combustion for butane. Given:

mass water- 129.91g
mass butane 0.15g
old temp- 16.4 degrees C
new temp.- 26.7 degrees C

2. Homework Equations

2C4H10 + 3O2 yields 8CO2 + 10H2O

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried, but I really have no idea. I only know how to calculate q and apparently that's not the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat of combustion is per mole, what you have calculated is for 0.15g...

The heat of combustion is the amount of energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion with oxygen. It is a measure of the chemical potential energy stored in a substance. In simpler terms, it is the amount of heat produced when a substance is burned.

To calculate the heat of combustion, you need to know the mass of the substance being burned and the amount of heat released. This can be determined by measuring the change in temperature of the surrounding environment, as shown in the given problem.

To calculate the heat of combustion for butane, you can use the equation:

q = m x c x ΔT

where q is the heat released (in joules), m is the mass of the substance (in grams), c is the specific heat capacity of water (4.18 J/g°C), and ΔT is the change in temperature (in °C).

In this case, the mass of water is 129.91g and the change in temperature is 26.7°C - 16.4°C = 10.3°C. Plugging in these values, we get:

q = (129.91g) x (4.18 J/g°C) x (10.3°C) = 5431.8 J

This is the amount of heat released by the combustion of 0.15g of butane. To calculate the heat of combustion, we need to convert this value to per gram of butane. This can be done by dividing by the mass of butane:

5431.8 J / 0.15g = 36,212 J/g

Therefore, the heat of combustion for butane is 36,212 J/g. This means that for every gram of butane burned, 36,212 joules of heat are released.

Related to What exactly is heat of combustion? How would I calculate it?

1. What is the definition of heat of combustion?

Heat of combustion, also known as the enthalpy of combustion, is the amount of heat energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion with oxygen, typically in the form of heat and light.

2. How is heat of combustion different from other forms of heat energy?

Heat of combustion is specific to the process of combustion and is not the same as other forms of heat energy such as thermal energy or heat capacity. It is a measure of the energy released during a chemical reaction.

3. What units are used to measure heat of combustion?

Heat of combustion is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ) per mole of the substance being combusted. However, it can also be measured in other units such as calories (cal) or kilocalories (kcal).

4. How can I calculate the heat of combustion for a specific substance?

The heat of combustion can be calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the products from the enthalpy of the reactants. This can be determined through experimental data or through theoretical calculations using thermodynamic equations.

5. What factors can affect the heat of combustion for a substance?

The heat of combustion can be affected by factors such as the molecular structure of the substance, the amount of oxygen present during combustion, and the temperature and pressure at which the reaction occurs. It can also vary depending on the specific reaction pathway and any impurities present in the substance.