What exactly is Abstract Algebra?

In summary, abstract algebra is a difficult subject that is usually encountered in later undergraduate courses. It is a basic building block for many other subjects. The prerequisites for a course in abstract algebra vary depending on the school, but typically include courses in single variable calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, discrete mathematics, and complex variables.
RJC
I'm 17 and my high school has no other math courses to offer me. At a local college there is a course called "Modern Algebra" and I was wondering if it was the same thing as abstract algebra. I asked my math teacher about it, and he said it was the hardest math class he took; he used to call abstract algebra "Rings n Things." And also, what are the prerequisites to this course?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJC said:
I'm 17 and my high school has no other math courses to offer me. At a local college there is a course called "Modern Algebra" and I was wondering if it was the same thing as abstract algebra. I asked my math teacher about it, and he said it was the hardest math class he took; he used to call abstract algebra "Rings n Things." And also, what are the prerequisites to this course?
I haven't taken it yet, but I am also 17 and in the same position. I don't know if the prereqs are the same everywhere, but here you usually take single variable calc, multivariable calc, linear algebra, differential equations, discrete math, advanced calc, and complex variables. I'm sure you'd be fine without those last two though.

i haven't had about half of those, so i guess i won't be taking it!

An ounce of mathematical sophistication is probably all that's required for your average introductory abstract algebra course. I seriously doubt all those courses listed by apmcavoy (except linear algebra) are actual prereqs for a course in abstract algebra at any university, seeing as (at this level, anyway) they are totally irrelevant for the subject at hand (not that they can't be used to acquire the previously mentioned mathematical sophistication, though).

Last edited:
Just to reiterate Muzza's point...

Abstract Algebra is a very basic subject: in it you would pretty much start from scratch and work from there. It generally doesn't build upon previous knowledge. (but the examples might!) In fact, it's one of the subjects that is used to a varying extent in just about every other subject.

The catch is that you have to be able to understand and construct proofs fairly well. Being able to think abstractly doesn't hurt. (But hopefully that can be taught!) That's why it's usually encountered late in the undergraduate cirriculum. (Or so I think)

I took a first course in Abstract Algebra last year, assuming it would be similar, it doesn't get very far. It covers the basics, defining binary operations, looking at groups, subgroups and some of their basic properties, that sort of thing. We never got as far as Rings and Fields. Without a prerequisite of Linear Algebra there is no way you'd get too deep into it.

If you are willing to keep an open mind to the material you will be taught and have a reasonable level of confidence with your mathematics, than you should be able to easily deal with it.

Linear Algebra is just basic college algebra, right?

RJC said:
Linear Algebra is just basic college algebra, right?

If abstaract algebra is rings 'n' things, then linear algebra is vector spaces 'n' junk. Actually you relaly don't need any linear algebra to understand the basic concpets of groups, semigroups, rings, etc all you really need is basic algebra.

After all a vector spaces (at least when first introduced) rely on the concepts of fields and abelian groups.

look at a book like herstein's topics in algebra. or whatever it is called now. you do not need anything to study abstract algebra except a biasic understanding of injective and surjective functions between sets. maybe not even that if the course covers that too, as many do, and maybe induction.

linear algebra is logically a chapter within abstract algebra.

many different courses are taught with the same names, at various levels, many quite watered down. linear algebra can refer to a trivial course in which people only learn to manipulate matrices, or it can be a course on rings and modules, exact sequences, and normal forms for linear transformations and examples such as lie groups, lie algebras, and group representations.

Related to What exactly is Abstract Algebra?

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the properties and relationships of these structures, rather than specific numerical calculations. It is considered to be the study of algebra at a more abstract and general level.

2. How is Abstract Algebra different from traditional Algebra?

Traditional Algebra primarily deals with the manipulation and solving of equations involving real numbers. Abstract Algebra, on the other hand, deals with more general structures and their properties, rather than specific numerical values. It is often referred to as "generalized algebra".

3. What are some real-world applications of Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra has numerous applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. For example, group theory is used in cryptography to create secure codes and in physics to study the symmetries of physical systems.

4. Do I need a strong background in math to study Abstract Algebra?

A strong foundation in basic algebra and mathematical concepts is necessary for studying Abstract Algebra. However, it is also important to have a strong understanding of mathematical reasoning and abstraction, as these are key elements of Abstract Algebra.

5. What are some common topics covered in Abstract Algebra courses?

Some common topics covered in Abstract Algebra courses include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. Other topics may include modules, vector spaces, and abstract structures such as groups and rings.