What exactly does the Work-Energy theorem say?

In summary: So the apple/earth system is closed and the force of gravity is the only external force and is conservative so that's why the work done by gravity can be written as potential energy? and because the apple/earth system is closed and the only external force is conservative we can apply the equation ##W_{net}=∆E_K## to it?And when we raise the apple with our hand we apply an external non conservative force and do work on the apple, and the apple also does work on us (newtons third law) and the net work done is 0J, correct?In summary, the work-energy theorem states that the net work done on a system is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the system.
pkc111
Homework Statement
State the work-energy theorem.
Relevant Equations
see below
My research leads to 2 slightly different equations. See equations 1 and 2 attached.
Also, for equation 1 should Wext be Wnet ext ?
1621246460103.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
pkc111 said:
Homework Statement:: State the work-energy theorem.
Relevant Equations:: see below

My research leads to 2 slightly different equations. See equations 1 and 2 attached.
View attachment 283156
Does your 'research' (any references ?) also have a context explaining what is meant with each of these variables ?

##\ ##

W ext = work done by external forces.
Ek = kinetic energy
Ep - potential energy
W net = net work

If you do not know the answer please just say so..thanks.

pkc111 said:
If you do not know the answer please just say so..thanks
Point taken :smile:
Remarkable that one can achieve a PhD in physics without knowing the work-energy theorem, isn't it . . . !

I do know, however, the terms and the equations (my question was an in vitation to you to think about what the symbols represent), so I still feel qualified to help.

Both your number 1 and number 2 are good candiates -- as your research shows. Since it's only a label, the homework statement would be better in place in an english class than in physics as far as I'm concerned. The physics point is that one understands what needs to be considered in a particular situation (hence my question about context: what is considered 'the system' determines what is internal and what is external. The presence or absence of of a conservative force field determines if mechanical energy conservation is expressed as nr 1 or as nr 2).

As a physicist I prefer number 1, but I see number 2 popping up quite often as well -- in the implicitly or explicitly mentioned context of the absence of a gravitational field.

The answer to your
pkc111 said:
is a lot easier: yes!

##\ ##

Likes DaveE, Delta2, Hamiltonian and 3 others
BvU said:
Remarkable that one can achieve a PhD in physics without knowing the work-energy theorem, isn't it . . . !
Guess the OP expects us to have a PhD in clairvoyance. Since when do people have to explain their formulas?
Maybe we should add to our rules, that a good counterquestion is often half the way to the answer.

Likes BvU
it is a very frequent mistake: to take into account only the external forces in the work energy theorem. Actually the notion external\ internal is not relevant here

Perhaps it would be useful to formulate the work energy theorem here.
Assume we have a system of particles ##m_1,\ldots,m_N## with position vectors ##r_1,\ldots,r_N## relative an inertial frame. A net force that the particle ##m_i## experiences is presented as follows
$$F_i-\frac{\partial V}{\partial r_i},\quad V=V(r_1,\ldots,r_N).$$
And $$T=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^Nm_i|\dot r_i|^2.$$
Theorem:
$$\frac{d}{dt}(T+V)= \sum_{i=1}^N (F_i,\dot r_i).$$

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Thanks for the answers but I am still a bit confused.

Does anybody have a good link to the definition of the work-energy theorem and the conditions under which each equation is valid eg. presence or absence of conservative forces, whether the forces are external or internal? Do all the forces acting have to be conservative for these equations to work or just one of them?

Also just so just to confirm I understand, If I were to raise an apple vertically (1N) 1m with my hand at constant speed then I have done 1J of work on the apple, gravity has done -1J of work and the net work done on the apple is 0J? and if I consider the apple/earth the system, is my hand an external force and the weight an internal force? and does my hand apply a conservative or a nonconservative force?

OK so here is my latest attempt, criticism is welcome :)
1621296980436.png

1621300307835.png

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
again any criticism welcome..
1621300103925.png

1621300544740.png

What you saying in post #8 and #9 seems mostly correct. Just two things:
  1. Post #8 seems to consider conservative forces as synonym for internal and non conservative as synonym for external. This is not completely correct, we can have a non conservative force that it is internal, for example take two bodies that touch. The friction in the touching area is a non conservative force and it is internal.
  2. We can derive all this by the work energy theorem (##W_{net}=\Delta E_K##) and the definition of potential energy as the work done by the internal (or conservative) forces (##W_{int}=-\Delta E_P##).

Thanks Delta 2 that's very helpful :)

Just a question
1621303584143.png

So this one always for nonconservative forces or all forces? and the other equation just for conservative forces?

pkc111 said:
Thanks Delta 2 that's very helpful :)

Just a question
View attachment 283194
So this one always for nonconservative forces or all forces? and the other equation just for conservative forces?
This is for the work of all forces, conservative and non conservative. The other equation is just the definition of potential energy and it is only for conservative forces.
If you wonder how we derive it , here it is:
$$W_{net}=\Delta E_K\Rightarrow W_{net,int}+W_{net,ext}=\Delta E_K\Rightarrow -\Delta E_P+W_{net,ext}=\Delta E_K\Rightarrow W_{net,ext}=\Delta E_K+\Delta E_P$$

So helpful thank you!

Likes Delta2
pkc111 said:
OK so here is my latest attempt, criticism is welcome :)
View attachment 283180
View attachment 283188
No. Potential energy is not an attribute of a rigid body. In the apple+Earth system, it is a property of the system. This is why for a rigid body we say ##W_{net}=\Delta W_k##. It has nothing to do with whether the work is being done by conservative or non-conservative forces.

Thanks haruspex :)

Related to What exactly does the Work-Energy theorem say?

1. What is the Work-Energy theorem?

The Work-Energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the net work done on an object will result in a change in its velocity.

2. How is the Work-Energy theorem derived?

The Work-Energy theorem can be derived from Newton's laws of motion. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. By applying this principle to a system, we can derive the Work-Energy theorem.

3. What is the formula for the Work-Energy theorem?

The formula for the Work-Energy theorem is W = ΔKE, where W represents the work done on an object and ΔKE represents the change in kinetic energy of the object. This formula can also be written as W = FΔx, where F is the net force acting on the object and Δx is the displacement of the object.

4. Can the Work-Energy theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Work-Energy theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and even non-uniform motion. It is a universal principle that applies to all objects and systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Work-Energy theorem?

The Work-Energy theorem has many practical applications, such as calculating the energy required to launch a rocket into space, determining the braking distance of a car, and understanding the motion of a pendulum. It is also used in engineering and design to optimize the performance of machines and structures.