Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] What exactly does it mean '[SOLVED]'?...

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
I apologize for my ignorance but I would have some information about the written '[SOLVED]' that sometime appears in the title of a post... precisely...

a) who has the 'authority' to extablish that a question has been 'solved'?...

b) if the question proposed by a member in a thread is 'solved', does it mean that any other intervention on the thread is 'unadvisable'?...

c) the intervention in a 'solved' post can be considered suitable of a sanction as 'useless post' or something like that?...

Any answer to a), b) or c) will be greatly appreciated...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I believe (but am not 100% certain) that

a) Anyone with the authority to edit the first post in a topic (i.e. the OP, a moderator or administrator) can change the title to give it the [SOLVED] prefix.

b) If you have something useful to add to a topic, even if it has been labeled as solved, then you should feel free to do so.

c) I wouldn't consider adding say another approach to a particular problem which has been labeled as solved as a useless post. If it were a topic that I began, then I would welcome additional input/insights.

For b) and c), these are just my opinions. (Wave)

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
I apologize for my ignorance but I would have some information about the written '[SOLVED]' that sometime appears in the title of a post... precisely...

a) who has the 'authority' to extablish that a question has been 'solved'?...

b) if the question proposed by a member in a thread is 'solved', does it mean that any other intervention on the thread is 'unadvisable'?...

c) the intervention in a 'solved' post can be considered suitable of a sanction as 'useless post' or something like that?...

Any answer to a), b) or c) will be greatly appreciated...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
a) In my opinion it's the OP [Original Post(er)] as they asked the question.

b) If you've something useful and relevant to add by all means do so. There's more than one way to skin a cat after all.

c) As long as it's relevant then no, it would not be suitable for sanction.

Putting [SOLVED] in the title of the thread is only really to let people searching the boards that this question has been solved so that they (the searcher) can copy/apply the solution in the thread to their own problem instead of making a new topic