What exactly are North and South bridges?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridges
In summary, a Northbridge is responsible for interfacing with the CPU, while a Southbridge does the same for the Memory and PCI Bus. A chipset is a combination of a northbridge and a southbridge. TigerDirect and NCIX.com are good places to start looking for a compatible motherboard.
The_Absolute
What exactly are "North and South bridges?"

I was hoping to upgrade my motherboard this Christmas. I know I need an LGA 775 socket, and I also know that even though a motherboard may have the same socket type as your CPU requires, the bridge types may be different, making it completely incompatible with your processor. Right now, I have a C2Q Q9400 (2.66 GHz) I'm not sure about the bridge types, so I don't know which LGA 775 motherboard I should buy.

Computer science news on Phys.org

If you're looking for what they are, here's a primer (they handle the interfacing from the CPU to most other parts of the computer):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)

You're probably thinking of a bridge set (more commonly referred to as a chip set, with both north and south bridges). The chip set must be compatible with your desired processor, but happily, most vendors are more than happy to tell you which motherboards work with which processors (and vice versa).

If this is your selection criteria in the first place (i.e. figure out a chipset and then narrow down the number of motherboards you have to research), you can look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_Chipsets

NVIDIA and VIA also make compatible chipsets (some with more bells and whistles than others):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_chipsets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIA_chipsets#AMD_.2F_Intel_processors

But it's probably easier to go to, say, TigerDirect or NCIX.com, and start searching for motherboards with a certain socket (e.g. LGA775), whittle down by manufacturer / features, and then see if the ones you click on are compatible with the Core2 Quad.

One thing to keep in mind is, even if the chipset and socket type are identical on the new motherboard, the BIOS revision may not support certain processors. This is usually less of a problem in your case when you're using a new motherboard with an older processor, but it's definitely a problem when using a new processor with an older motherboard. One (personal) example: AMD was nice enough to make their newer AM2+ processors backwards computable with the AM2 socket, however Asus doesn't have a BIOS update available for older motherboards to allow them to use the newer processors. There's absolutely no physical reason that the older motherboard can't fully support the newer processor, but certain features are disabled when you use the current BIOS.

In contacting Asus about this they've plainly stated that they don't intend to release any new BIOSes for their aging equipment - I suppose it makes business sense in that they don't want to expend a lot of effort just to undercut their new product sales, but as a consumer it's galling and certainly helps defeat any plans AMD might have had to encourage users to update their system on a smaller budget.

End rant!

Related to What exactly are North and South bridges?

1. What is the purpose of a North and South bridge?

The North and South bridges are two important components of a computer's motherboard. They are responsible for connecting the central processing unit (CPU) to other components such as memory, graphics card, and input/output devices. The North bridge handles communication between the CPU and memory, while the South bridge handles communication between the CPU and other peripherals.

2. How are North and South bridges different from each other?

The main difference between the North and South bridges is the type of components they connect to. The North bridge connects the CPU to high-speed peripherals such as memory and graphics cards, while the South bridge connects the CPU to slower peripherals such as USB ports, hard drives, and audio devices.

3. What are the functions of the North and South bridges?

The North bridge is responsible for controlling the flow of data between the CPU and high-speed peripherals. It also manages the communication between the CPU and system memory. The South bridge, on the other hand, controls the flow of data between the CPU and slower peripherals, and also manages the input/output operations of the computer.

4. Do all computers have North and South bridges?

Yes, almost all modern computers have North and South bridges. However, with the advancement of technology, the functions of these components are now integrated into the CPU or other components of the motherboard. This means that some newer computers may not have separate North and South bridges.

5. Can North and South bridges be upgraded?

No, North and South bridges are not upgradeable components. They are permanently attached to the motherboard and cannot be replaced or upgraded separately. If you want to improve the performance of your computer, you may need to upgrade other components such as the CPU or graphics card.