What equations can I use to find the tension in this cable? Transverse pulse ?

In summary, to find the tension in the cable, you can use the equation T = μv^2, where v is the velocity calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. The value of μ can be found by dividing the mass by the length of the cord. By plugging in the values given in the problem, the tension can be calculated to be approximately 67.8 N.
riseofphoenix
What equations can I use to find the tension in this cable?? "Transverse pulse"??

Number35.png

I know I'm given the following but I have no idea what equation to use...does anyone know?

Mass: m = 0.180 kg
Length: L = 4.20 m
μ = mass (m) / unit length of cord (L)​
Time for 4 trips down and back: 0.845 s
Tension: T = ? N

1) Equation to use: v = √(T/μ)

2) First find v and μ

v = distance/time
v = 2(4 trips)/0.845 s
v = 8/0.845
v = 9.467
valong the cord = 9.467(L)
valong the cord = 9.467(4.20 m)
valong the cord = 9.467(4.20 m)
valong the cord = 39.76331361 m/s

μ = m/L
μ = (0.180 kg)/(4.20 m)
μ = 0.042857

3) Plug everything in equation v = √(T/μ) and solve for T

(v)2 = [√(T/μ)]2
v2 = T/μ
μv2 = T
0.042857(39.763313612) = T
0.042857(1581.121109) = T
67.76210738 = T
67.8 N = T

Did I have the equations right??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your calculation of v looks weird, but the general concept (and the result) are fine.

Related to What equations can I use to find the tension in this cable? Transverse pulse ?

1. What is the equation for calculating tension in a cable?

The equation for calculating tension in a cable is T = F/A, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the cable, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cable.

2. How do I calculate tension in a cable using the Young's modulus?

The equation for calculating tension using Young's modulus is T = Y * (ΔL/L), where T is the tension, Y is the Young's modulus of the material, ΔL is the change in length of the cable, and L is the original length of the cable.

3. Can I use the same equation to calculate tension in a cable for different materials?

No, the equations for calculating tension in a cable may vary depending on the material used. Some materials may require the use of Young's modulus, while others may require different equations.

4. How can I calculate the tension in a transverse pulse?

The equation for calculating tension in a transverse pulse is T = μ * f^2 * A, where T is the tension, μ is the linear density of the pulse, f is the frequency of the pulse, and A is the amplitude of the pulse.

5. Is there a simplified equation for finding tension in a cable?

Yes, for simple cases, the equation T = mg can be used to calculate tension in a cable, where m is the mass of the object being supported and g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, this equation may not be accurate for more complex systems.